Your email*

Certification [Conversation]

National Board Certification

Started on May 21, 2012 by rlaurenzi
Last post on Sep 24, 2013

I am thinking about applying for National Board Certification, but I am fairly unfamiliar with the whole thing. If you have been through the process, and have some advice, please share!

4 Keeps, 2 Likes, 7 Comments

• RuthByrne 05/23/2012 at 05:02am
    I'm sorry I can't help with this one, I plead total ignorance. I would like to ask: what do you see as the major benefit of getting National Board certified?

• rlaurenzi 05/24/2012 at 09:57am
    From what I have read, it advances your practice, and makes you more marketable when applying for jobs because of the prestige. Also, many states accept it in lieu of getting re-certified when moving there from another state. Many districts provide monetary incentives, as well. My district offers a $10,000 raise, but I think this is highly unusual - most offer much less or one-time stipends.

• veronda 06/15/2012 at 05:25pm
    I really don't know that much about it, but I do know that it offers a nice raise. I am interested in finding out, so I will do some research for you.

• AmySueMcBroom 07/25/2012 at 12:21am
    I have applied and am on round two...because it is really intensive and time consuming. Impossible? No, just realize it can take three years and plenty of funding. I was lucky for scholarship for year one, but after that plan ahead for $350 each assessment retake, Would I do this again.....YES....I am more aware now than ever my profession and what it really takes as an individual. The prestige and the sale-ability for other positions are not in the forefront anymore. Worth it , yes. Hard...YES...Timely...yes....impossible....no but be prepared for a bumpy ride.

• Craftybunn 08/11/2012 at 12:48pm
    I received my certification last year. Most everything you could possibly need to know can be found on the NBPTS web site. Funding is usually up to the state. I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have. Was it worth it? Yes! Was it hard? Yes! Did I get it on the first try? No. Do I think it made me a better teacher? Does it benefit the students? Most definitely!

• jfrisco 09/29/2012 at 08:01am
    I have been considering this. I found out that our district does not offer any incentive. What is the advantage in my case other than furthering my own education.

• RVArtist 09/24/2013 at 12:31pm
    I am in the middle of mine now. First go around. It is SUPER time consuming and pretty overwhelming. I think it is going to make me a better teacher, but right now I am so tired I don't feel like that great of a teacher. It is making me get organized and really think about assessment. Anybody else doing this right now?