Your email*

Personal [Conversation]

Elements & Principles Ideas?

Started on Jul 17, 2012 by MrsKey
Last post on Sep 16, 2012

How do you introduce the elements and principles of art? I base my projects around E & P's and explain new ones (one or two at a time)and using elements previously learned. What's a good way to cover them all in the beginning with a little hands-on learning? Could be a journal assignment, worksheets, project etc…

6 Keeps, 2 Likes, 4 Comments

• Jenncook678 07/24/2012 at 06:09pm
    I think it really depends on the grade level you are teaching.

However, I come from a small area and 95% of the kids have never had an art class before they get to me (I teach high school art). So I basically have to start at the begining.

I've done "scavenger hunts" where student are in groups and they are assigned an element (for beginners) or an element and a principle (for more advanced students). Then they search around the school for them.

Almost all the kids have camera phones now so I get them to use photography to capture their assigned element or principal. They can then email them to me and we have a slide show where students explain why their image captures an element or principle.

Once they are familiar with the concept of each I move into my regular curriculum.

I start my grade 9s on the elements and then focus on the principles in grade 10. I only have 45 days with grades 9&10; so whatever I do has to be pretty quick.

I spend at least a week on each of the elements and principles. Then I usually have time to squeeze in some other lessons at the end.

I've found you can get pretty creative using the E&Ps; as a framework for your semester and the kids seem to like the structure and how the two years build on each other.

I hope this helps!

• Monty15 08/08/2012 at 10:40am
    I taught Art 1 in high school level my first year, and I had my students look through old magazines and do a collage of each element - one page each - to start. Then as the year progressed they would add to the elements. All this to refer back to when assignments came up. Good luck my friend!

• jfrisco 08/08/2012 at 11:16pm
    I have had success at various levels (grades 3-9)having them create an accordion book. They create one page per element and principle. It has worked out wonderful for me... plus it incorporates bookmaking into the lesson.

• pencilsandpalettes 09/16/2012 at 03:41pm
    I use songs, visuals/posters and incorporate them into each unit. I point out the elements of art and have them discuss the use of elements of art in Art History discussions. :)