Your email*

Personal [Question]

What type of technology should I use?

Started on Jul 24, 2012 by sdartteacher
Last post on Feb 11, 2013

Every student in our high school has a computer and I was thinking of having a blog that would basically be for my students. I would post make a post, then once a week they would respond to something in the posts. My question is, is the blog a good idea or should I look to twitter or is there another program?

2 Keeps, 1 Likes, 4 Comments

• ArtsoniaTiffany 08/15/2012 at 02:32pm
    Artsonia (www.artsonia.com) allows you to create a school art gallery with as few or as many pieces of artwork as you'd like. After doing so, students can leave personal artists statements or post comments on one another's work. Teachers can also leave "feedback" on each student's artwork. If you are interested in keeping it art-centric and tied to the lessons being taught, it might be an option for you!

• MisterPP 10/02/2012 at 07:10pm
    I am using edublogs this year - nfwoodsart.edublogs.org

Edublogs runs on the wordpress engine.

I'm also experimenting with having a multi-teacher group on edmodo (edmodo.com) - group 'artists to artists' for my art 2 and 'graphic artists unite!' for my graphic arts students.

my students are also in a 1:1 situation and have been for 5 years so they are used to the technology.

both my art 1 and art 2 students do 'museum monday' where I give them a link to a different online museum collection every monday and they have to choose an artwork from that collection and write a critique on it. Today they did their first self-critique in edmodo. It's going to be an uphill battle, but worth it in the end I hope. =/

• MsLundstrum 11/06/2012 at 10:00am
    I've had success using Google Groups for online critique or responses. Google sites has a "blog" like option for a page layout, otherwise you could post a topic weekly in a Google Group (accessible to a specific hour or set of classes).

• MrsImpey 02/11/2013 at 05:44pm
    I love Artsonia as well. What's really great is that when you create an exhibit for the artwork, you can enter in statement prompts for the students to answer when they write their artist statements. This way they could reflect upon their own artwork, and depending on how you incorperated it, the Common Core could come into play if you have students link their personal artworks to a historical artist, style, time period, etc.