Your email*

Experience [Question]

How Do You Get To Know Your Students?

Started on Aug 07, 2012 by The_smARTteacher
Last post on Aug 27, 2014

How do you get to know your students? Do you have a strategy to connect with them? Do you work at getting to know them personally? How do you build trust without compromising respect?

5 Keeps, 3 Likes, 5 Comments

• Toastpainter 08/12/2012 at 08:02pm
    I have my students fill out a questionnaire the first day of school. In addition to info like address, parent names, etc., I ask them things like if they have had any art classes before, what their favorite/least favorite projects and media were, favorite music, movies, hobbies, etc...I think it lets them know that I am interested in knowing what makes them who they are. Hope this helps, and good luck! :)

• Artist_RhiCG 08/19/2012 at 07:39pm
    I find the best way to build that trust you speak of is to share things about yourself with them. In turn, they will be more open to sharing things about themselves with you. Talk about your pets, they'll open up about their pets. Talk about your children/husband and they will feel more like part of your family and in turn will share things about their family. It works great for me..........:)In other words, the more you share the more it shows your students that you are a real and ordinary person just like them, not an untouchable teacher.

• Jenncook678 08/21/2012 at 05:28pm
    I completely agree with Artist_RhiCG, especially when it relates to the art room. Being open with your students helps them be open back.
    It can be embarrassing for student who feel that they have less than adequate artistic abilities, so I feel that it is important to be yourself in front of them so that they can see you aren't perfect either. Most of my students think I'm pretty "quirky". But it's that very quirkiness that make is okay to ask questions and make mistakes around me.
    I also feel that my circulation time is really important because it gives me that one on one time that allows students to show their individuality.

• Taurine75 09/09/2012 at 01:12pm
    All are wonderful suggestions. You can download my version of All About Me (student_information_sheet.doc) from my website: http://www.mrbodnar.com/faculty.html

I take it a step further and comment on each and every one of my student's sheets. That's over 250+ of them! It sounds crazy but they LOVE reading my comments. I also do a lot of little drawing and happy faces when we share similar interests.

• RVArtist 08/27/2014 at 05:43am
    I use a google survey for my 4th-5th graders. They love answering questions about themselves and getting time on the computer during art. I use google because I like the visuals that I can make from it. You can their graphs by classroom, grades, boy/girl, etc.