Your email*

Management [Conversation]

Dealing With Tardiness

Started on Aug 19, 2012 by The_smARTteacher
Last post on Sep 13, 2012

How do you ensure students are on time and ready to go when class begins? How do you deal with those who aren't?

0 Keeps, 1 Likes, 4 Comments

• sallyctaylor 08/25/2012 at 05:21am
    If they don't walk in the door with a tardy slip, they have to go get one. Schools have their own systems in place, and this is an area where I don't bend the rules. If you play the nice teacher and blow it off they will continue to show up when they choose to. Students figure out very quickly what they can get away with and what they can't.

• Jenncook678 08/26/2012 at 08:39am
    I agree with sallyctaylor, students will take advantage if you are 'slack' about tardiness. I know because I tried the "nice guy" approach my first year and the kids walked all over me. I am still trying to make up ground from that year to show them that I mean business.

Even though I am trying to be more strict, I have found that it is also important to stay positive. Students should know that being late is unacceptable, but that I'd rather have them for 40 out of 65 mins then have them not show up at all. I am always happy to see a student, even if it is late.

Sallyctaylor, I like that your school has tardy slips! Can you explain that a little more? It sounds like something my school should have too!

• Taurine75 09/09/2012 at 01:02pm
    We have a MAJOR problem with that at our school so I agree with sallyctaylor 100%. I'll also mark the exact time the students come in late within my printed attendance roster. When we print out our grades I always check off the box that says, "Include Tardies and Absences". I then highlight the names of repeat offenders and submit a copy to our PSA and Dean on campus. I also call the homes of parents after getting/highlighting that list. If the problem occurs the second month (or second progress report period) I contact the authorities.

• sallyctaylor 09/13/2012 at 11:04am
    Jenncook678 when I was teaching in public schools in Texas three tardy slips earned you a detention. If you missed detention twice you earned an In School Suspension (ISS). Three detentions also earned you a trip to ISS. If there are no consequences you might as well not have rules in the first place. Late students are a major disruption especially when you have limited class time to begin with. My students figured out very quickly that they had to be in the door on time. It was better to get in the door and ask for a bathroom break etc.. than to have to walk all the way to the office to pick up a tardy slip that would add to their points toward detention. Administration was responsible for keeping track of the number of tardies a student had and assigning detention or ISS. By the end of the first grading period, I had very few students showing up late.