Your email*

Technology [Conversation]

Smartphone in the classroom?

Started on Aug 21, 2012 by cmbmorgan
Last post on May 17, 2016

How do you feel about allowing students to use their smartphones as a resource in the art room?

1 Keeps, 0 Likes, 8 Comments

• Artisdead 08/24/2012 at 08:44am
    Definitely, saves a fortune on having to supply decent cameras.

• sallyctaylor 08/25/2012 at 05:05am
    I only allow it at school under direct supervision. In most schools students are not allowed to have their phones out or on during the school day, so it is definitely bending the rules. I have actually encouraged students to take photos on their phones outside of the school day if they can get at least 1 mg of resolution. They can then use the image in class as visual resource or as a part of "phonography" series. The image editing apps available for smart phones are widely varied and surprisingly good. At 1 mg you can produce a very nice 8 x 10 print.

• VABartTeacher 09/01/2012 at 11:21pm
    I have my students use my I phone to upload their art work to my artsonia account. This is part of their grading process. Once artwork is uploaded they fill out a rubric and turn it in. Art work goes in their portfolio. I take only the rubric home and look their artwork up online to grade. It's awesome.

• KimSchulze 09/02/2012 at 07:48pm
    Virginia...you are indeed a genius.

Our school has yes/no signs in classrooms for school-approved cell phone use, such as calculator, research, etc.
    I don't really have many visual aids for my students, so I allow them to google images to use for inspiration. I have to trust them somewhat, but make a point to stroll around the room. (phones must sit on table top, not down in their laps) I was allowing them to "plug-in" with earbuds to listen to music if they were working on a project, but was told that wasn't really "school-approved use". I disagree, because i find it helps them focus, but oh well....

• Taurine75 09/09/2012 at 12:56pm
    It is a MAJOR issue at my school. Most have them and few use them productively. Banning them and confiscating them is like swimming up a waterfall. I now post signs that cover my outlets that say, "No Wall Leeches". I can't prevent my 250+ students (within 6 periods) from using these distracting devices but I can deter them a bit if they're aware that their phones will die if they continue to use them throughout the 80-minute period.

• Astabeth 02/28/2013 at 01:50pm
    Photo references, listening to music while they work (once instructions are done and they have headphones), looking up artists, art materials, etc., getting ideas, photographing work, and so on. Our school has really cracked down on phones, but we are still using them for photo references because it takes too long to go to the computers in another classroom and log in!

• CoffeedrinkerAlpha 07/23/2013 at 03:22am
    I find the aggravation outweighs the benefit. Our school does not allow phones/tablets in the class room. We have a computer in the room to look up images if needed. Most often students will be looking at something inappropriate or playing around so I don't allow them to leave their phones out. Instead of listening to their personal devices I introduce music that is significant to the project they are working on, either because of its time period, theme or its relationship to other artists in the lecture. We listen to the play lists I make on my Ipod. Seniors get privilege and can make their own play lists every couple of weeks.

• swieringa 05/17/2016 at 07:13am
    Like others, I have reservations about letting students have phones out in class. It has been nice this quarter having them take photos of their work every class period with their phones; with the Google Drive app students can save the process pictures in folders I set up for them very easily.