Your email*

Best Practice [Question]

SPED kids in Art

Started on Sep 01, 2012 by VABartTeacher
Last post on Jul 09, 2013

Does anyone have any tips on extra art lessons / projects to keep on hand for special Ed students that are included into the regular classroom? Most of these students are of low to mid functioning and aren't able to do complicated tasks but complete there work in record time!

6 Keeps, 0 Likes, 7 Comments

• jfrisco 09/02/2012 at 09:26am
    In my classroom I have implemented Choice Based Art ALONG with Discipline Based Art Lessons for various reasons. One of these reasons is because of SPED. I feel like this is a great way to get as much as they can out of their Art experience. Check out my prezi below on procedures. It includes reflection on the assignment they are completing BEFORE moving on to Choice Based Art. This may help.

http://prezi.com/opgdujxwtq_h/bailey-art-room-procedures/

I'm interested to know what others do with this challenge! :)

• KimSchulze 09/02/2012 at 07:35pm
    jfrisco- AWESOME presentation! love it!

SPED kids are a challenge for me, as well. I feel like they get cheated because large classes get all the attention. They love coming to art...wish they could get more of my time!

• urbanart 09/05/2012 at 06:55pm
    First of all, these students are only abled differently. Find out what their abilities are!! And be sure to use people first language-- Students with special needs.

You should include them in all projects. You may have to do some advance prep.. for example cutting out small shapes a head of time for them. I have taught autistic support, emotional support and learning support classes. Most of these classes LOVE weaving and painting. Also, they do really well with beading or sculpting activities.

Don't be afraid to accommodate these students by letting them sculpt something you are having the rest of the class draw.

• Eponine24601 09/06/2012 at 05:49pm
    Absolutely agree with jfrisco and urbanart! I'm fortunate that my students that need more extra attention typically will come with an assistant, and usually the assistant is great about making sure they aren't completely doing the project for the child. I've gotten the large triangular crayons for my students who are working on developing motor skills as well as some large triangular markers that don't have a cap. You simply press down to write with them. I've made communication boards for students who are not yet verbal but can indicate a choice or preference. It does take time and some trial and error to find out what works best for them. Another idea is to check the student's IEP and see what the goals are for them.

• chersch 09/23/2012 at 01:47pm
    I agree with urbanart. More kinesthetic projects, like sculpting are wonderful! All of my students learn differently, and I find that giving them extra time, or some advanced prep of project materials is very helpful. Reading the student's IEP is very important. It can help to clue you in about areas of strength as well as challenges. I have often found that my LD students to be more connected with expressive-emotional aspects art making than their non-LD peers.

• egschweng 09/27/2012 at 04:48pm
    I try to include my SPED in all the projects that the others are completing. While they may not be able to do all of the projects, this year sketch books have been a great help. Today most of my students had finished their assignment the class before, but I wasn't starting a new lesson. They occupied themselves with coloring in their sketchbooks. My only instruction to them is they must fill one page, before moving on to the next one. As I'm going around I'll also give them prompts of, "What shape is that? Can you draw a different shape?"

I also like to keep a ton of a variety of coloring sheets. From connect to the dot, Disney (my other students really enjoy this when there is down time), and to art history coloring sheets. If they are done completing their task for the day, then they are rewarded by coloring in their sketchbook or coloring sheet. At the end of the day I put a sticker in the sketchbook. This year is the year of coloring, they all love to color.

• jbucher 07/09/2013 at 01:38pm
    I always have them use the same materials that we are. They may or may not follow the assignment depending on their ability level. I also have large buckets of play doh, and a box of textural items that they can glue ( corregated board, foam shapes, buttons, feathers, fabric) .
    I have also found that dot markers are great!