Your email*

General [Question]

Art Club in Elementary?

Started on Sep 03, 2012 by jfrisco
Last post on Aug 16, 2014

Does anyone else have Art Club in Elementary? What do you do? What grade levels? Concentrations? More!

6 Keeps, 3 Likes, 12 Comments

• K-8teach 09/05/2012 at 03:15pm
    Hi, I have been running an art club for about a year now. I see the kids Monday and Fridays for about an hour. They are in 5th grade. I have a daily sketchbook assignment for them when the walk in and our school gives them a snack, which is nice. I sometimes have multiple projects going on at once so that if someone finishes early they always have something to do. I have done enlarged sketchbook drawings where I have given them bulletin board paper and let them sketch and paint on the floor in groups. They really loved working large. I have done duct tape creations (flip flops, wallets..), paper mache, paper picadel picado, masks, I have even had the after school students help with school decorations for concerts. They loved making kumihumos (woven bracelets/key chains, on a cardboard weaving wheel which can be made by the kids). With the afterschool groups I have found that I can do more involved projects than during the school day.

• SuperMrsGardner 09/06/2012 at 03:50pm
    This will be my second year having art club for my 3rd-5th graders. I have learned what NOT to do....I limit my club to 20 kids. I will have two groups, one during the first half of the school year, one during the last half. They meet once a week, bring thier own snack and we meet for approx. one hour. For several weeks last year I introduced several different projects; origami, paper beads, seed mosaic and weaving. They had the choice to work on any project and change projects if they wanted to. I did that for about 4 weeks, it worked really well. We also did school projects helping decorate for Veterans Day and for the Christmas program. Once we even did cupcake design, it cost me a little too much money, so if I do that again the kids have to bring in the icing and candies to decorate.

• Eponine24601 09/06/2012 at 05:42pm
    I have an art club for my 5th graders. We meet for an hour to an hour and a half after school. We've done weaving, animation on the computer, I've had them create sun catchers by shaving crayon between wax paper... they love to paint too. I've taken them outside and we've used sidewalk chalk. They love to build with paper too. I also limit the number to no more than 20. What I do if I have more students than that is have an A group and B group and they meet on opposite weeks.

• pencilsandpalettes 09/16/2012 at 03:28pm
    I just started an Art Club that I opened up to my 4th and 5th graders! All the projects and contests that my principal asks us to do are accomplished with this group. We meet monthly, for an hour and a half after school, and the kids have special privileges to come in before school and during recess to work on their entries and special projects.

• RuthByrne 09/17/2012 at 12:17pm
    I have a question for you all, how difficult/what was the process for getting your art club approved? Our district tend to avoid after school programs because they can't find money to pay a teacher, and the union tends to avoid after school programs run with fundraiser money/volunteers.

So how did your schools begin these programs? How do you handle over enrollment? and does anyone fundraise to meet their needs?

• Eponine24601 09/17/2012 at 01:25pm
    For me, I simply asked my principals and got their approval. I don't receive a stipend for it. I simply use what materials I have available in new ways or allow students to explore various things in ways we can't in class. As far as over enrollment, if I have more students interested than I want at a meeting, I have divided the kids into two groups. Group A meets on week one and Group B on week 2 and we alternate that way. I think some people have made it a semester long thing where one group meets the entire time, all semester. At the end of that time, the next group starts.

• RuthByrne 09/19/2012 at 04:35am
    Thanks Eponine, the alternating groups is a good solution.

• jfrisco 09/19/2012 at 03:17pm
    I run it through a program our district offers to students who could benefit from targeted instruction. I have 3rd graders on Wed mornings for an hour, and 4th & 5th graders on Friday mornings for an hour. I teach all curriculum centered around art. We have a focus each month.
    Here is our tentative schedule for the year:

October Artist Trading Cards

November Learning about Social Studies through Art
    We are so fortunate to be partnering with two "sister schools" this year. One of our partner schools is in New York. The other partner school is in China. The Bailey Art Room will be connected to two other schools this year through collaboration, exciting challenges, exchange of creative works and sharing of peer critiques.

December Exploring and Creating Art as Expression

January Learning about Math and Science through Art

February Learning about Literacy through Art "I Love to Read Month" *We will be concentrating on challenging our "reflective" self through several self and peer critiques, artist statements and beginning to search for our own individual style.

March Art History - Prehistoric through Modern Art
    "Youth Fine Arts Month" Critiques, display, celebrating!

April Independent Choice Based Project Proposal

• Michelle 10/09/2013 at 04:19am
    Has anyone sent home a letter talking about art club outlining pick up times rules or expectations? I was also wondering if anyone has any experience with allowing the younger ones to be in art club... maybe 1-5? This is only my second year teaching and first year trying an art club so any info would be welcome!
    DELETE

• jfrisco 10/09/2013 at 09:12am
    Michelle - Our Art Club is before school - 8:15-9:05 (when school begins). It is open to 3rd-5th graders. It works out very well. One day per week.

• tholodak 10/29/2013 at 03:17pm
    Hi All! I am excited to start an after school K-4 art program at my school... but this is my first time doing so and I could use your help. If you have an after school art proposal or other documents to share, please hit me up! I am willing to trade my curriculum maps, lesson plans and smart board files. Looking forward to hear from you!

• MinistryMom 08/16/2014 at 12:29pm
    I've been asked to start an after school art club for Elementary/Middle School students once a week. I need tips on how to get started, what kids need, what school provides, themes for the year, etc. THANKS!