Your email*

Personal [Question]

Do you give art homework to elementary students?

Started on Sep 06, 2012 by SuperMrsGardner
Last post on Sep 27, 2012

What are your thoughts about giving art homework assignments to 3rd - 5th graders? The assignments prepare students for projects they will be working on.

2 Keeps, 0 Likes, 5 Comments

• Eponine24601 09/06/2012 at 05:24pm
    When I had more time with my students, I used to have them make their own sketchbook with a paper bag as a cover. I would give them blank paper for it and some lined paper to write on as well as various hand-outs. I would give (every other week) an extra credit assignment. My students absolutely *LOVED* this and actually begged every week for more sketchbook assignments! :) I don't see anything wrong with giving homework if it is for something they will be working on. Perhaps send a note home with that grade so parents are aware of what it is and why they are doing it?

• imagiNATION 09/07/2012 at 09:59am
    I do sketchbooks with 5th and 6th graders. I haven't personally done any other homework with the little ones. I agree with Eponine above that a note home to parents would probably help it be effective so they know to check for art homework. One of my friends gives his kids stuff from Mark Kistler and has them work toward becoming a member of the "draw squad." When they complete a drawing they get the next one and get to mark off a box, etc until they are complete. He says the kids really enjoy it and often ask for more work. I believe his is optional which makes the kids actually want to do it which is kind of a funny twist...

• jfrisco 09/08/2012 at 10:04am
    Sometimes I give them "homework" to do practice sketching (planning) for their upcoming project. It is not mandatory for them to do it... optional. If they DO choose to do it, they are ahead of schedule and do not have to use their class time to plan... they can move on to the creation stage. Most choose to do it since it is optional. I like assigning them to "think" about Art over the 6 days they will not be in Art Class.

• SuperMrsGardner 09/10/2012 at 04:19pm
    Thanks for all of your input. I work at two elementary schools and sofar (we are in week 3) and my homework has been a hit. I have had a few issues at one school with a few parents complaining, but the kids say they enjoy doing it. I no longer refer to it as homework, it is now referred to as "sketchbook activities." It is a part of thier grade, a very small part. I have decided to continue doing it because it does help with the time spent in class on the creation stage.

• Jenncook678 09/27/2012 at 10:07am
    I have older students, but I still struggle with homework.
    "To give or not to give"...?
    I have come to the conclusion that I do not give homework. I have had kids in the past work on projects at home and when they are handed in, I have no idea how much time and effort they spent doing their work.
    I have also run into problems with students going in the wrong direction or not using a material or technique right and then their work is ruined. Whereas if they had been in class, I would have been able to catch the problem before it had adverse effects.
    The only homework I give, is for student to collect materials from home and at the start of the year we do a "What is art" activity that they complete at home.