Your email*

Resources [Conversation]

Best Books for Art Teachers

Started on Sep 27, 2012 by Jenncook678
Last post on Feb 28, 2013

The internet is a fabulous resource for both inspiration and information. Nevertheless, I find books can be more comprehensive resource. I just never know which book I should buy next! Post about some books you love and why!

5 Keeps, 0 Likes, 13 Comments

• RuthByrne 09/28/2012 at 05:57pm
    It's not really a "book" but I'm obsessed with Taschen Portfolios. Great reproductions giving a beautiful window to an artist's body of work.

Benefit for nudity sensitive classrooms- you can tear out pages!

• Jenncook678 09/28/2012 at 06:01pm
    Thanks AmyHall! I've never heard of either of these books but they are definitely going to be added to my Christmas list. I knew I could count on thesmARTteacher community excellent advice.

• jfrisco 09/29/2012 at 07:19am
    Survivor Kit for Elementary and Art Book of Lists.

• imagiNATION 09/29/2012 at 03:02pm
    I really enjoy Teaching with Love and Logic for behavior stuff, I find most children's books to be inspiring and especially love Pattern Fish, Beautiful Oops and I Ain't Gonna Paint No More, for project inspiration. As for art books, How to Teach Art to Children has some good handouts, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is great for drawing skills, Art is Fundamental has a good curriculum guide and the Usborne book Art Ideas is good for brainstorming different techniques. Hope that helps!

• Jenncook678 10/02/2012 at 02:56am
    Does no one know of agood book for oil and chalk pastels?

• Jenncook678 10/03/2012 at 03:06am
    Yes please! Book post away!
    I also love from ordinary to extraordinary!
    I knew someone was bound to post drawing on the right side of the brain too, I am never disappointed with the smartteacher.

• greengal1 02/10/2013 at 02:57pm
    I recommend the series:
    Art Explorers by Joyce Raimondo

Imagine That Activities and Adventures in Surrealism
    What's the big idea! activities and adventures in abstract art
    Make it pop! activities and adventures in pop art
    Express yourself! activities and adventures in expressionism
    Picture this! activities and adventures in impressionism

http://www.joyceraimondo.com/index.htm

I like the bright illustrations of the art work and student art. I also like the thought provoking questions listed in the book. There are a great variety of 2-D and 3-D projects throughout the books.

• Astabeth 02/28/2013 at 01:30pm
    Drawing with Children and Drawing for Older Children and Teens by Mona Brookes. She has a method of teaching drawing that gets some pretty quick results. I also like The Annotated Mona Lisa and The Annotated Arch for art history.