Your email*

Curriculum [Conversation]

MATERIAL BASED LEARNING

Started on Feb 09, 2013 by ArtEngine
Last post on Feb 21, 2013

How wide of a range is your scope and sequence? Do you find that certain grade levels are heavy in one art material or process?

1 Keeps, 0 Likes, 4 Comments

• RuthByrne 02/12/2013 at 06:40pm
    My goal for a scope and sequence is to hit most mainstream mediums in each grade level. Every grade has a clay, printing, drawing(with all sorts of materials, painting, sewing, and collage projects.

• RuthByrne 02/12/2013 at 06:41pm
    I find that I miss out of other types of sculpture, though. I should probably include a plaster, found object, wire, paper, card or other odd technique in each grade as well. Can't have them thinking clay is the only way to be 3D!

• artclasswithlmj 02/13/2013 at 10:31am
    In my younger grades, I tend to explore individual materials connected with both artists and time periods - sometimes, just the materials alone (i.e. painting/Kandinsky).

In my older grades, I tend to explore materials that are connected with different practices or techniques (i.e. printmaking).

By sixth grade, I try to expose my students to at least 15 different materials that can be applied in a variety of experiences. There is always one term/technique/artist emphasized more than others to have some grounding in the curriculum.

• TheresaGillespie 02/21/2013 at 06:50pm
    I try to spread out the mediums at each grade level. I feel my job as a K-5 teacher is to give them the taste of as many materials as possible so they can build on these later.