Your email*

General [Question]

Classroom redesign tips!!!!

Started on Feb 10, 2013 by VABartTeacher
Last post on Jun 15, 2016

Hey guys, what are you favorite things you have in your classroom? What would you want or need that you don't have in your art room?

3 Keeps, 2 Likes, 10 Comments

• RuthByrne 02/12/2013 at 05:21am
    I love my art room, but I think a small slab roller would be an awesome addition. My favorite thing is probably all my counter space, and I couldn't teach without my projector. I also enjoy having a flat file to keep the essential supplies for each grade levels current projects right under my demonstration table.

• artclasswithlmj 02/13/2013 at 05:48am
    Counter Space is a big plus.

Cupboard space - both open and locked for various purposes.

Good, sturdy stools - not the old ceramic kind.

Clay area - table, tools, storage.

• Thoch626 02/18/2013 at 01:15pm
    Drying racks! Empty cabinets or old bread trays from grocery stores is great for 3D work.
    Sinks, demonstration table/space, storage space for each class projects.
    Stools are look cool, but they rock them and tip over all the time. I have wooden ones and they are splitting and pieces of wood are breaking off from falling over all the time.

• laurakatherin 02/18/2013 at 03:22pm
    I love all my roll-y carts! They help me prep for each lesson and then tuck the materials away when the class is over. I also use them when hanging up and taking down artwork in the hallway. I also am always wanting more shelf space to store 3-D work.

• TheresaGillespie 02/21/2013 at 06:41pm
    I'd love to have large flat drawers for oversize paper or a better way to store poster prints.
    I love my drying rack that rolls around and the shelves lift up making it easier for even little ones to use it. I have an older one that the students hate to use because the shelfs don't move.

• Astabeth 02/28/2013 at 12:44pm
    My favorite thing is a huge screen I use to show images. I also have cubbies for storage for my ceramics students. The things I wish I had - more room (my room is 1/2 size), a sink, a paper towel dispenser, and a large drying rack.

• paintpeace 04/08/2013 at 05:18pm
    I have a lot of frosted windows, very little wall space. We write art words on the windows with markers. I have a couple of teacher only accessible cabinets so have organized them by material-- tempera paint and brushes, acrylic paint, clay tools, drawing tools, crafts materials, etc. Seems logical, but it took me a long time to figure that out!

• MosaicME 04/12/2013 at 03:22pm
    As a sub, I am collecting ideas for when I get my own art room. I love having a roll-y cart for each lesson and drying racks with flip down shelves. I dislike having no demo table or a place to draw/write out instructions. Computers and Smart boards are great for showing online images, but alas, subs often do not have access to these. I like each student having a portfolio, plus a shelf for each class for 3D art.

• kruger_d 04/11/2014 at 05:30am
    My three peninsula sinks can each accomodate three students. Hallway window displays accessable from my room let me change displays while still monitoring a class. A lockable storage room is great. A large drying rack is worth its weight in gold.

• swieringa 06/15/2016 at 06:07am
    I finally got a sink this year in my room!! I love my locking cabinet, my huge drying rack, my 5-drawer cabinets on wheels, my large paper cutter, my light box, and the two desktop computers in my room. The only thing I miss is when I had a scanner attached to the computer (it got lost :( in the move to this building five years ago.) I could use more storage--a lot more storage!