Your email*

Supplies [Question]

Uses for found wax

Started on Feb 25, 2013 by VisualDeyana
Last post on May 16, 2013

While cleaning out some storage, I found a 5 gallon bucket full of wax; everything from wax bricks, to wax candle sticks to little wax beads. I teach middle school and would love to use it but cannot think of a good lesson. Any ideas before my principal makes me pitch it?

3 Keeps, 2 Likes, 6 Comments

• DragonWingsPhyl 02/25/2013 at 06:11pm
    Oh my goodness so many ideas! First, and easiest, you can draw with it and paint over it - in other words, use it as a resist for 'magic pictures' that are invisible until they show up through the paint or ink.

With the wax bricks, use a pointy tool to draw into it, and then roll ink on it and make prints. Maybe even try that with the candles, rolling them to print. Or carve into them and then press them into clay to create raised line images(not sure that will work, but hey, it's worth a try!

Melt it in an old crock pot, or in a muffin tin or foil pan in an electric frying pan filled with water. Then use it to paint on fabric to do batik. Great fun, but make sure you understand how to do it yourself before you embark on batik with kids.

Again, melt it in a muffin tin in the electric fry pan with water, and add chunks of crayons to add color. Paint with the melted wax on board to create an encaustic work of art.

Don't let them throw it away!!

• MsAlkire 02/28/2013 at 07:21pm
    What if you did wax sculptures from famous artworks? or even just organic abstract sculptures would be neat.

I love batik but it can be frustrating if you don't know how to do it well, it definitely takes a lot of practice. I should know I'm terrible at it! :)

• AmyHall 04/03/2013 at 11:09am
    I use wax to seal colages.. melt in a crock pot and brush a thin layer on top of collages... usually nature, landscape inspired.

• Jklein 04/16/2013 at 08:51am
    If you decorate papers with tempera and use for collage or handmade books the wax acts as a seal creating a lovely finish.
    Once the cover is complete rub with wax and buff with a soft cloth.

• jfrisco 04/16/2013 at 04:41pm
    What do you mean Jklein? that sounds intriguing! Could wax be used over pastel to seal the artwork? I have done sculptures with my 4th and 5th graders using firm beeswax. They learn about the subtractive method of sculpture. Check out my artsonia video for an example. Bailey Elementary.

• Thoch626 05/16/2013 at 08:45am
    Melt it and dip ceramic pieces in it to prevent glaze from getting on the bottom.