Your email*

Organization [Conversation]

Introducing Elements/Principles of Art

Started on Apr 22, 2013 by mprince
Last post on Sep 08, 2013

Hello! I am trying to find a good way to introduce the elements and principles of art to my elementary students. I want to introduce it in the beginning of the year instead of with each project. Is this a good idea? And does anyone have any great ideas on how to introduce this in the beginning of the year?

7 Keeps, 1 Likes, 11 Comments

• RuthByrne 04/24/2013 at 01:38pm
    hm, I like covering art elements and principles through art history projects. Example:
    Project 1: Focus on Matisse paper cutouts, take notes on shapes used, describe similarities (focus on unity) create a paper cutout abstract composition that uses united shapes.
    Project 2: Focus on Joan Miro(or kandinsky), Take notes on line types and VAriety. Try automatic drawing.
    And so on.
    I love integrating! Out of curiosity, why do you want to make it a seperate introductory lesson?

• RuthByrne 04/24/2013 at 01:40pm
    Oh, also, my favorite gimmick is to say "ding ding ding!" and point to my Art Elements poster whenever I say one of the words in an explanation or compliment. the kids (k-4) love it.

• RuthByrne 04/29/2013 at 12:02pm
    That was fabulous!

• RuthByrne 04/29/2013 at 12:11pm
    Hey that someone who made that prezi is imagiNATION on this website! rock on!

• mrreddy 05/05/2013 at 02:15am
    Elements are ingredients. Principles are recipes.

• judlebug81 05/05/2013 at 02:56am
    I cover the elements of art at the first of the year, then focus on different elements throughout the year with our projects. To help the kiddos better understand the vague concept of "what is an element", I compare the elements of art to ingredients. I talk about watching Mom cook and ask how many ingredients she has. Does she use every ingredient every time? No! She picks and choses different ingredients to make different items. I also describe how she can use the same ingredients, but in different ways, to create different recipes. That is how the elements in art work. We have different elements (ingredients) that we use different ways to make each piece of art work different. I show a few different prints and ask them to tell me the elements (ingredients) in each. Then we compare how they used the same elements, but differently. Works great with the younger kids because they seem to understand this comparison with cooking easily.

• RuthByrne 05/08/2013 at 04:58am
    My coworker likes o call the elements the words and the principles the poems or paragraphs. This is useful when your crossing lit with art!

• Thoch626 05/16/2013 at 08:40am
    I'm planning for next year to do element art centers with the lower grades the first class or two. Students will do a fun quick activity for each element and then rotate. I'm thinking of them filling a small sketchbook of the activities. Kind if like a passport and they mark off the elements at each station.

• akniskern 09/08/2013 at 05:30am
    Thoch626, I love that idea. Let me know if you do it that way...I think I may try and tie it in with making elements/principles books.