Your email*

Technology [Question]

Artsonia Tips

Started on May 10, 2013 by rlaurenzi
Last post on Feb 18, 2015

I want to start using Artsonia next year. I have watched the online tutorials, but I am seeking advice or tips from anyone who has found efficient ways for using it.

5 Keeps, 0 Likes, 7 Comments

• RuthByrne 05/13/2013 at 11:50am
    YES!
    It is super easy to use, but tedious and time consuming to keep up to date with (especially if your photo everything by everyone like I do). Below is what I do with it.
    Step 1: Taking pics. I take a class stack of work and take pictures as a make a list of the student artist. The list matches the pictures when I go to edit them.
    Step 2: Editing. I use Picasa to spruce up the pictures. Then I can easily use them on my blog or elsewhere. Batch Auto contrast, crop, rotate, etc. I like to name the files at this time (F2 is the shortcut) "Sally3A.jpg" according to the list.
    Step 3: Batch upload. I only upload one project at a time (a group of art that will all fit in the same 'exhibit') because the uploader tends to organize by name, scrambling the pictures, and then I'd be changing three fields of info when I go to publish.

So, to avoid tedious clicking...Upload a batch of photos for a specific exhibit, set up the exhibit title and grade level and all you have to do is change the name (type the first few letters in the field and it drops to the right name) and publish.

I have tried waiting till I'm publishing on artsonia to name the files. It does take out a repeated task, but I feel that the naming goes faster if I have the digital copy right there...plus I tend to loose my lists, so for me It's better to name the files on my hard drive as soon as I upload them.

• RuthByrne 05/13/2013 at 11:52am
    As for permissions, I sent out the form at first so parents could see a hard copy of the program. Ever since then I've entered kindergarten and new student parent emails to the site and had the site send them an email about registering their kids. I seem to have more success getting sign ups that way.

• Eponine24601 05/24/2013 at 09:45am
    Great question! It is time consuming but I have found that it takes me less time if I use the iPad ap to upload work rather than the digital camera. You can skip the step of having to write down whose piece it is and then attaching it to the student when uploading. I also send permission forms home at the beginning of the year with a note about the program.

• lhARTz 05/26/2013 at 05:33am
    To start, it can be time consuming. You have to get all your students' information in the system, as well as parent e-mails. An easy way to do this is create an excel file (or have each classroom teacher do this for you) and then send it Artsonia. They'll upload the excel files for you. It saves a ton of time.

To upload images, I use my iPhone. Usually I have a stack of art, photograph it, keep it in order, then go back through and upload. The App has a built in editor so you can edit and upload easily. I am really picky with image quality so the hardest part for me is setting up a space in my room which has the best light but also limits shadows on the images.

Sometimes, especially for 3d work, I photograph and keep a list of the student names because I can't keep 3d work in a nice pile like 2d art! Having the list is also nice because then I can sit on the couch and edit/upload while at home rather than doing it ALL at school.

I also use class time twice a year for students (4th and 5th grade) to enter artist statements. I reserve the lab, set up the classroom forms, and have students enter statements on at least two works of art. Artsonia has a list of basic questions each time you upload a gallery, but I edit those and add my own questions for students to think about. It's a great way to get students to use technology, writing and reflection in the art room.

Once you get a system going that works for you, it'll be so easy! Good luck!

• MrsImpey 05/28/2013 at 12:41am
    I have found that if you have good lighting, you can bypass the editing of the photos and just use the photo editor on Artsonia. I photograph my stack of artwork and upload it. For me, I don't just do one project at a time. Then, as I grade each artwork with a rubric, I assign it to an artist on Artsonia. Generally I just use the photo editor on Artsonia, but it isn't the best, particularly if you have a funny shadow in your picture. Finding a good place or way to photograph the artwork is key!

• MsTuttle 08/01/2013 at 01:40am
    I use the Artsonia App on my Ipod at school. As students finish their work, I take a picture of it right at their table. I will also do stacks at a time (for example, once paintings are dry, take out of the rack and just go down the pile) If an older student has handwritten an artist statement and their classmates are still working on writing or their project, I will set up whoever finishes on my computer to type up their statement. This also helps avoid quite so much "Free Draw" time.

For this coming year, I'm hoping to set up a table and have some lighting for it to make taking the photos a bit easier, but we'll see. I have about 350 students, and I started Artsonia in April. I have taken pics of everyone's work so far, as long as it is fiished. We will see how it works for a full school year! I plan on doing a print of all students who don't have permission and sending those home at the beginning of the year, as well as getting emails. I've also done a table at Math nights, a great way to grab families who are active with their kids and would actually sign up!

• RVArtist 02/18/2015 at 07:43am
    There App is awesome! I use it on my iPhone and my iPad.