Your email*

Certification [Question]

PRAXIS resources?

Started on May 14, 2013 by imagiNATION
Last post on Sep 29, 2017

A friend is working on her art certification (wahoo!) and is starting to take the art specific PRAXIS tests. My study materials/skills are a bit limited and/or out-dated. Anyone have any good book/resource suggestions for someone taking the content/knowledge test? Thanks!

2 Keeps, 2 Likes, 5 Comments

• CaptureCreativity 05/14/2013 at 03:29pm
    I highly recommend reading through "The Annotated Mona Lisa"—it's a really great and adequately thorough overview of art history without being overwhelming!

You can find it on Amazon here: http://amzn.to/12zcXQW

• paintpeace 05/14/2013 at 05:26pm
    I printed out all the sample exams from the testing website and did them over and over til I got it right. Bone up on your gothic architecture, feminist and conceptual art and the shared principles and elements of visual art and dance. I'm a better artist from all this research and practice!

• Ms-Organized-Chaos 08/11/2013 at 10:57am
    The Annotated Mona Lisa.....

I read it fron to back really took my time through it and it helped me SO much!

• Me1issa08 10/03/2013 at 07:03am
    I second the annotated Mona Lisa. I also bought the art teacher's book of lists to look through.

I swear that test was the hardest test I've ever taken. When I walked out of the room I felt like I had no clue what the answers were for 90% of the test... but I passed the first time so it must have been easier that it seemed!

My Art Ed advisor had a practice book that also helped!

• tsiner 09/29/2017 at 07:22am
    I attended a Praxis II workshop and acquired some resources. One of them was an art appreciation book It was by Mark Geitlein "Living with Art" 6 Ed. In this book all aspects of Visual Art was discussed. I also purchased a study exam from the Praxis website it was about $20.00. I practiced until I memorized all of the answers to the questions. I also went as far as going back to the questions and researching the options that were not answers. This helped me a lot! I furthered my research by searching for videos on you tube that described different art processes and art movements.
    I failed my first exam by 1 point.
    I passed my second exam in an excess of 17 points after I incorporated the you tube videos and researched the other options! Best of Luck!