Your email*

Management [Question]

Quiet Signal

Started on Oct 23, 2013 by CreativeFreckles
Last post on Nov 06, 2013

Do you use a "Quiet Signal" in your art room? If so, what is it? I use a bell, but I was hoping I could get some new ideas.

2 Keeps, 1 Likes, 5 Comments

• Eponine24601 10/27/2013 at 02:44am
    I clap twice and say "Vincent". The children clap twice back and say "van Gogh". Sometimes I will change up how I say it just to see if they are paying attention. :)

• Abbyesc 10/27/2013 at 02:46am
    Hi, I use a variety of signals for grades Pre-K to 2. I use the typical clapping signal. I also use, "If you hear my voice, point to the ceiling, point to the windows, point to me. At the beginning of the year, I introduced the Mona Lisa and I ask the students to be "Mona Lisa Ready" in which they sit quietly, hands folded, looking at the teacher.

I hope this helps! I look forward to what other teachers' suggestions regarding this.

• Marekat 10/27/2013 at 04:20am
    I sit down. I seldom sit during art class, and the kids know if I sit down it is time to quiet down. If I cross my arms, they know I have had enough. In general I let them talk and stand during art, every once in a while they become too loud.

• lizwish7 10/29/2013 at 02:21am
    I love the "Monda Lisa Ready" strategy. I may have to try that! I say "red, yellow, blue" and they respond "I hear you" which works well. I can tell I need to try a few new things with my older kiddos.

• Teaboz 11/06/2013 at 06:41am
    If talking gets too loud, I say 'Shh shh shh shh' and the kids return with a 'shh shh'. In the tone of the standard clap. You have to train them to all do it at once, and then it works awesome.

'Hands on top' and then the kids put their hands on their heads and say 'that means stop' if I need them to be quiet and put their eyes on me.

If I need them to be quiet and listen to me, but don't need their eyes I say 'Hey 'class-name''(kind of drawn out and sing-songy) and they match my tone and say 'Hey Ms. Neu'.