Your email*

General [Question]

New to teaching art

Started on Apr 30, 2014 by aylap1990
Last post on Jun 05, 2014

Hello! My name is Ayla, and I'm an artist who recently discovered I have a huge passion for teaching art as well as making it. I'm really new to teaching, so I'm not sure exactly what to do! Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks!

1 Keeps, 0 Likes, 2 Comments

• aylap1990 04/30/2014 at 07:09am
    A couple things I forgot to add: I really want to teach privately and perhaps even start online one-on-one lessons. But I'm really stuck when it comes to pricing (charge for materials? Charge less for online lesson takers? I'm so confused!) Also, I specifically want to teach drawing, Photoshop, and potentially sculpting and SFX makeup (don't want to start with those because the materials are so expensive and I haven't been able to delve into it too far myself, yet). I know how to draw and I know my fundamentals and specific techniques, but I've been reading a book for beginners on how to draw (to try and recall what all the terms are and what order I learned everything in), and I see they are so well laid out with their exercises and everything, and I'd really like to use these books as sort of textbook or guideline for myself while teaching. Would that be considered 'cheating' or does anyone else here think that's a good idea? I'm so lost!

• paintpeace 06/05/2014 at 04:38pm
    Sounds like a great idea. My advice: the textbooks (and this website) are good to great. DO the project yourself before you spring it on the student. That way you can see the experience, notice what you were thinking about when you did the project, work out the kinks, and have an example to show. What is nice working privately or in a small group is the student will focus more and want to do the practice, which takes time and concentration. Keep it live, it's rehearsal for you too, before you offer classes online.