Your email*

Interest [Question]

New Art Teacher, New Art Program

Started on Jul 04, 2014 by betzer
Last post on Jul 12, 2014

I have been given the opportunity to bring in an art elective at my Jr. High (6-8th grade). The program is starting from scratch (supplies, curriculum etc). Can you ofer any suggestions on items to purchase, as well as what a typical day might look like. Thank you so much any input or suggestions.

0 Keeps, 0 Likes, 2 Comments

• imagiNATION 07/10/2014 at 01:55am
    Are you doing just a general art class? Do you know how much time you will have with students (is it once a week, once a day, etc)?

I would make sure you have basic supplies first. Paper (a generic drawing weight and then some construction paper - I like to make sure I have black and then get a few mixed packs every year. If your school doesn't provide copy paper, I would get that as well), lots of pencils, erasers, some kind of table bucket or can (could be a recycled solution here), class-sets of crayons, colored pencils, and oil pastels. Scissors. Paint brushes and watercolor sets. Some kind of glue (I think elmers school glue is a good go to for most things but if you can get both I would pick up some glue sticks and a thing of rubber glue also) I think having a paper cutter and drying rack in the art room are pretty essential but you could probably get by without if you had to by being clever haha. I also think masking tape is essential if you want to be hanging your students work. Then you can start to get other things if your budget allows it. Tempera and Acrylic paint, markers (the small drawing markers/pens are actually good for the older ones), resource books, aprons, rulers, clay, etc etc.

If you would like to shoot me an email at mbradsh3@gmail.com I would love to talk more in depth or specifically about your situation if you are interested :)

• betzer 07/12/2014 at 05:18pm
    Thank you for your ideas,I really appreciate it. I will e-mail you in the next day or so! To answer your question, I have them 5 days a week for 40 minutes, and it is a general/introductory class. Thank you again!