Your email*

Organization [Question]

Oil painting

Started on Nov 18, 2014 by zeigbea05
Last post on Jul 01, 2016

I am interested in trying to use oil paints with my students. I have students that range from PreK to 12th. I feel certain that oil painting would be best done with the older students. I do not know much about oil painting and I am open to any advice I can get.

0 Keeps, 0 Likes, 4 Comments

• paintpeace 12/01/2014 at 07:35pm
    Advice: use acrylic paintis. Oil paints take days to dry-so storage would be a headache, and they use solvents- a pit poisonous. I would buy acrylic paint by the pint, from Nasco or School Soecialty or any of the big art supply mail order companies-- buy their generic. That's for starters. Try a painting at home first, so you get some idea what you are getting yourself into. Buy extra white paint. Have your students used tempera paint yet?

• aroote 12/04/2014 at 08:54am
    We use the Shiva Oil Paintstik (correct spelling) in our middle school classes. They develop a skin so the paint does not dry out and rub off. Very creamy texture and easy blending. Baby wipe clean up or soap and water. "Shiva Artist's Paintstiks are non-toxic, hypo-allergenic and contain no offensive odor." There is the oil smell to the product.
    Another product to try is the portfolio oil pastels.

• aricad 02/12/2015 at 02:26pm
    I'm not a fan of oil paints in the classroom as they take a long time to dry and you will need good ventilation. If you insist I would use grumbacher water soluble kind with my high school kiddos only. As with Paintpeace I would use Dick Blick Acrylics. Oils are tricky and reserved more for college level.

• lintpicker 07/01/2016 at 04:37am
    I use water soluble oil paints in my high school art classes. They are great, no toxic clean up. In time they dry just like regular oils, but yes they do take time to dry. As in any media there are students that love them and students that hate them. I recommend using them for older students to at least try them. They blend much easier than acrylics, but all media should be experienced if possible.