1 session; 60 minutes per session
1. SWBAT create abstract artwork using crumpled up sheets of paper and watercolor paint.
1. Watercolor paint
2. Paint brushes (wide brushes works best)
3. Paper towels and newspapers
4. Cup filled with water
5. White paper (thick enough to handle water without tearing, but thin enough to be crumbled up)
6. Black construction paper, foam board or mounting board
Need these materials? Visit Blick!
1. Fold paper in half and cut.
2. Crumple each sheet into a ball.
3. Pick a color and paint the outside of your crumpled sheet of paper. Then carefully unfold it, making sure to not tear the paper.
4. Repeat step 3 by adding more colors. (try to keep the amount of colors used between 3 or 5)
5. Unfold paper and let dry.
6. Once dry lay paper inside of a thick heavy book to flatten it out. (school books works nicely)
This project can be done on day when students have a substitute teacher.
Paper can be mounted or framed and displayed as art, or used as wrapping paper, notepads, etc.