Each semester I incorporate "Art Appreciation Days" when we stop and simply enjoy art.
This lesson looks at the Critical Protocol (a format from Perpich Center for the Arts, MN) and videos about Nick Veasey. Nick Veasey uses xrays as his photographic medium. It pushes students to appreciate art outside of the normal scope of photography.
1 session; 50 minutes per session
1. SWBAT identify personal thoughts.
2. SWBAT participate in a class discussion which critiques artwork in an objective and subjective manner.
3. SWBAT define an artist's point of view and motivation to make art.
4. SWBAT share personal opinions regarding "art" and "value" of the process.
1. Distribute worksheets.
2. Watch the first video. This video does not have any explanations about Veasey's work. This correlates with the first question on the worksheet. What do students notice?
3. Proceed with the Critical Response PowerPoint. Encourage participation!
4. Watch the second and third videos.
5. Share Veasey's artist statement.
6. Complete worksheets, and continue discussions.
*See attached document for links.
Assess students based on participation within the Critical Response Protocol and the completion of their worksheet.
This is a very laid-back lesson plan, and teachers should adapt assessment to their needs. Teachers could also assess based on vocabulary previously covered in class.