Your email*

Personal [Conversation]

Best big ticket item for your Art Room

Started on May 22, 2012 by RuthByrne
Last post on Mar 31, 2015

Many of us are using Artsonia to raise funds for our art rooms. My administrator suggested that funds raised from the Artsonia site should be used towards a big ticket item or goal. What do you believe is an item worth saving or fundraising for in your art room?

1 Keeps, 1 Likes, 14 Comments

• RuthByrne 05/22/2012 at 01:02pm
    Some previous suggestions have included, Art room Ipad, paper press, or photoshop software

• rlaurenzi 05/22/2012 at 02:09pm
    I would use it to purchase a document camera and digital projector.

• RVArtist 05/30/2012 at 08:37am
    A Promethean board would be my dream, but it sounds unlikely. So, I would use the funds to get the supplies to build a large loom.

• RuthByrne 05/30/2012 at 11:05am
    A Loom! That's an amazing idea, RV! Looks like we're kindred spirits too, I'm all about sculptural felting & ceramics too.

• 3DpaintDigital 06/01/2012 at 09:52am
    I would like to have potable light table, but I teach animation. How would having a large loom benefit your students? What is Artsonia?

• RuthByrne 06/04/2012 at 12:32pm
    I think I'd go for a real loom so that the kids can get a conception of what textile making actually looks like (not like yarn on notched cardboard). A large simple loom would also be a great year long school wide project...whenever you're finished you can sit at the loom.
    Artsonia.com is the site you should go to for a complete explanation, but its essentially an online gallery for student work. It also offers keepsakes like mugs and cards with student work printed on them. Any items bought with work from your galleries kick back money to your art program.

• EstherMoorehead 06/14/2012 at 09:36am
    More Ceramics Supplies:) Slab roller, a couple of wheels...

Or else a printing press!

• RuthByrne 06/15/2012 at 04:32am
    Good ideas. Slab roller would be such a time saver. I've given thought to a pug mill too.

• RebeccaAnn 06/16/2012 at 08:49am
    One or more pottery wheels. I used mine daily with 7th and 8th graders and I find it engages a completely different group of students than my other activities tend to. I am moving to a new school that doesn't currently have any wheels :(. I was lucky enough to have a pug mill but found it to be really frustrating, so I went back to the old fashioned way of reconditioning clay.

• ronnidart 07/07/2012 at 05:46pm
    I would recommend a document camera as well. A zoom feature is great. Also a projector is necessary. I have often thought of using funds raised for a spray booth. There are many times I need to spray paint materials or clear coat student projects. Usually I take it outside but the weather is often bad especially in the winter. Ceramic supplies and equipment is also a good idea.

• AmyHall 09/28/2012 at 01:05pm
    pottery wheel for me too! I've been pricing them lately and have been a bit sticker shocked! it would be a dream for one to appear in my room!

• MisterPP 10/02/2012 at 07:14pm
    Pug mill, raku kiln, smart board, extra-large format printer and of course the ultimate dream... a larger room.

• MrsImpey 11/30/2012 at 08:57pm
    iPad! That's what I'm trying to raise money for right now...though, might I suggest thinking about a glass kiln??? I used a grant to purchase a glass kiln for my classroom to use in the After School program (and hopefully to encourage more interest in the arts that I could possibly offer an entire elective course in glass art!) and it's the greatest thing ever! I am self-taught in the glass art, so by no means am I amazing at it, but it's fun to experiement with, even though the glass can be expensive.

• DesignACard 03/31/2015 at 09:40am
    Try using DesignACard.Org as an Art Class/Product Fundraiser! It's SIMPLE and fun for students, teachers and parents! Promote this timeless product to your PTO/PTA or Principal. Designacard.org