Your email*

Resources [Question]

Art Textbooks

Started on Jun 17, 2012 by The_smARTteacher
Last post on Sep 09, 2012

Do you use a textbook or other text in your art classroom? What book or text do you use? What do you like or dislike about it?

2 Keeps, 1 Likes, 8 Comments

• KNOdum 06/18/2012 at 03:05pm
    My classroom came with about 3 different series of old text books, some of them are at least 20 years old. I don't use them at all. I told my Assistant Principal that I packed them all up and hid them away in the classroom because it seemed more like a punishment to make the kids use them.

• slp0161 06/28/2012 at 03:33pm
    I need a recommendation for an anatomy book (with out the naughty bits) suitable for middle school, if such a thing exist.

• MsFoushee 07/11/2012 at 06:46pm
    I collected some body resources from our PE/health teacher. They got a new curriculum last year, so he had some old posters of the skeletal and muscular systems. A 3rd grade teacher gave me a skeleton handout to copy with the main bones labeled. I think I made my 7-8 students learn 14 major bones and 11 muscles? Something like that. Our 7th grade science curriculum also includes body systems, so you might also ask your science teacher what she uses; she may have some materials she doesn't use & would be willing to share.

• lbfreer 07/15/2012 at 04:58pm
    We do have textbooks for grades 3 through 5. Some things I like about them and some things I don't! Each unit has activities and reflective questions-some are worthwhile. They are great for substitutes to use. We also pull them out for research or for sessions that were cut short by field trips, assemblies, testing, etc. We don't use them frequently, but they are useful (and current).

• sdartteacher 07/22/2012 at 05:06pm
    I use Discovering Art History in my High School Art 1 classes. I like to use it as both a transition piece to a new project and as some background information on history, artists and events. I don't use every piece of it, but I think it is nice to have them read out of a book since they don't do that anymore.

• AmySueMcBroom 07/25/2012 at 12:13am
    Wow and I though using Art Talk from 2000 was ancient. I have an ArtTalk from 1998 and the students see relevance as their is SO MUCH....goes with Core Knowledge Curriculum k-8. All books resources. Just spent about $150 on used textbooks with teacher wrap around edition and CD rooms with Teacher resource binders for MS- HS classes. AP is coming from College level with plenty of reading. I love all Glenco-McGraw Hill Art Talk, Art Focus, Exploring, Discovering art and all Davis k. I collect and use my Hover Cam to do live presentations and increase vocabulary with read alouds. If anyone has old editions of ArtTalk they are getting rid of (edition 3 or 4) please feel free to contact me....really

• lightARTed 08/24/2012 at 06:54pm
    I am getting rid of all the text books in my elementary art classroom. I never use them and I think class time is better spent on hands on learning. When I need them to see a concept I will create my own PowerPoints for the smartboard which saves time on having to pass out and collect books.

• Taurine75 09/09/2012 at 01:36pm
    I used ArtTalk (http://www.glencoe.com/sec/art/art_talk/index.php) in the past. I really liked it. It's too expensive for my current school to purchase (a class set) but I have since scanned and created questions based off of the text. I use it for subs whenever I'm absent.