Your email*

Organization [Question]

File cabinet chaos!

Started on Aug 20, 2012 by cmbmorgan
Last post on Nov 05, 2012

I can't even begin to explain how much of a disorganized mess my file cabinet is. I primarily have lesson plans and hand outs in my drawers. I generally shove my latest plans in the front and always seem to procrastinate organizing! Any suggestions other than...just do it and get it over with?

1 Keeps, 0 Likes, 3 Comments

• RuthByrne 08/24/2012 at 08:08am
    I tend to keep everything on my computer, I usually recycle leftover handouts and print out fresh ones the next year. That said, I also have a crazy cabinet that I only just took the time to organize. Just bite the bullet, go through, make a bunch of well labeled folders, and then never touch the file cabinet again. =/

• cmbmorgan 08/31/2012 at 08:11am
    Thank you! I think I will go through and scan what I really want to save and then weed out during the year of the copies I already have... we will see!

• Melissa 11/05/2012 at 04:47pm
    Lesson plans are easier if you keep stored digitally, but I hate to throw away handouts and if you have a ton, it may take hours to scan as opposed to filing by group.

I keep "ideas" separate for lessons I've tried. Once I've used a lesson, the handouts, teacher samples, background info etc all goes into a color-coded hanging file. (At Elem, I code by grade level, when I taught HS I did it by course)

The ideas just get a tab like "Impressionism" or "Color Theory" so I can piece things together quickly. Good luck!