Your email*

Best Practice [Conversation]

Howard Gardner's Multiple Intelligences

Started on Aug 26, 2012 by Jenncook678
Last post on Sep 02, 2012

Im always looking for new ideas to engage all 8 of the multiple intelligences in my classroom. Does anyone else consider these learning styles when coming up with lesson plans? How do you handle them?

1 Keeps, 0 Likes, 6 Comments

• Jenncook678 08/26/2012 at 09:01am
    The learning styles are:
    Linguistic words and language
    Logical-Mathematical logic and numbers
    Musical music, sound, rhythm
    Bodily-Kinesthetic  body movement control
    Spatial-Visual images and space
    Interpersonal other people's feelings
    Intrapersonal self-awareness

There is a decent quiz that can be done at this website.
    http://www.literacyworks.org/mi/assessment/findyourstrengths.html

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that we have a lot of visual-spatial people on this website, hehe.

• ArtKat0508 08/26/2012 at 10:34am
    I don't make a list or write out ideas for every lesson but I try to use little activities that can be used over and over. I let the table group discuss a question and come up with one unique answer or idea to share with the class. I have the students touch or pretend to touch what they are drawing as well as mark out the space it should take up on the paper. We love to tap out rhythms, even if it doesn't apply to the lesson.

• AmyHall 08/26/2012 at 12:33pm
    Hello! Oh Yes!!! I do consider them when making lessons. My undergrad was in Interdisciplinary Arts for Children - which was a program created around the MIs.

I try to have as many get up and move activities when introducing artists/materials. I don't have every MI in every lesson, but try to hit as many as possible.. especially with assessment.

• Jenncook678 08/26/2012 at 01:21pm
    Oh! AmyHall I am really interested in some of your assessment strategies. I think about Multiple Intelligences when lesson planning, but I'm not sure if I've given much thought to assessment practices... You've just made my day!

ArtKat0508, I like the idea of having them touch their work. That might lead well into blind or modified contour drawings!

• allisonmp 09/02/2012 at 03:42pm
    AmyHall, I am so interested in how you introduce your lessons with the MIs in mind -- can you share a couple of ideas? I am a new teacher and love hearing new ideas!

• Jenncook678 09/02/2012 at 03:57pm
    Here is one of my MI lessons. But I'm sure there are better ones out there!

"kinesthetic and line" it's a good way to get kids up and active and learn about the qualities of line. This is an intro activity for our line design project. The results of this activity are posted on the wall for the duration of the project for inspiration.

When I'm teaching about line, I roll out two giant long pieces of paper and divide my class into two teams. Each team choses a paint color. Half of each team is on one end of the paper and the other half is on the other end.

When I start the music a student from each team has to run the length of the paper creating a line with paint and a brush as they go. when they get to the other end, they hand off their brush and paint (in a becel container) the next person on the team (like a relay race). The new student has to run back to the otherside while creating a different kind of line.
    The first team to have all their competitors complete their run first wins.

Then after the race is over, students use a scrap piece of paper and I ask them to vote on the different qualities of lines (ex. Put your paper on the most angry looking line, put your paper on the most calming line).

The winning team usually gets music choice for the week.
    Can't wait to hear some other activities!