Your email*

Assessment [Question]

formative assessments

Started on Aug 26, 2012 by ArtKat0508
Last post on Sep 30, 2012

Does anyone out there have any good ideas about how to create and use formative assessments in the art room? What do you think qualifies as a formative assessment?

3 Keeps, 0 Likes, 6 Comments

• Jenncook678 08/26/2012 at 03:45pm
    Formative assessment is anything that helps you get an idea of how a student is doing with concepts and techniques.

I use conferencing as formative assessment. I meet with at least one student per day during sketchbook time and we discus their portfolio and sketchbook. I try to make sure they have an understanding of new vocabulary and I like to have a discussion about where they are headed on their next project.

Students may rework any project, at anytime, so in a way that makes them formative too. I require that three projects be handed in during the last week of school for summative assessment. Those marks cannot be changed. I use my formative data to inform my summative grades.

• ArtKat0508 08/27/2012 at 02:16pm
    I have 6 honors classes (only three days a week) and 12 general classes (one day a week) so individual student conferences would eat up to much time. I try to use critiques to help plan the next set of lessons and daily review questions. I need some more cute methods of getting an answer quick like thumbs up and thumbs down, or point to an example of value in your picture.

• Jenncook678 08/28/2012 at 06:46pm
    Wow, ArtKat0508, I'm not sure how you do that!
    Have you tried exit or entry cards? It's a quick easy way to gauge your students' level of understanding.

• jfrisco 09/29/2012 at 07:53am
    Formative assessment can take many forms. It really is ANY measure of assessment that allows us to modify our instruction to ensure student success. I am trying to use rubrics more often. This is a great tool for formative assessment.

• RuthByrne 09/30/2012 at 07:44am
    In the elementary classroom I find its easy to check in with students in informal mini conferences. take 2 minutes to talk with them about what they're working on and try to extract the words&ideas; you focused on for the lesson. The best part is, if I move around the room and find 30% of the students are unsure of the Learning Target or technique/concept being taught, I do a mini demonstration, have an end of class conversation, offer extra examples to make sure I'm catching those kiddos.

If its only a few kids you can give them personal assistance and explanation.