Your email*

Assessment [Conversation]

Rise- Tracking Student Growth

Started on Sep 01, 2012 by artboiler
Last post on Aug 11, 2013

I am in Indiana art teacher. Indiana has adopted a new system of teacher evaluation called RISE. The major component is tracking student growth. I was planning to use 1 page portfolios but would love to hear what other art teachers are doing to prove what their students are learning. Thanks!

6 Keeps, 2 Likes, 9 Comments

• jfrisco 09/02/2012 at 12:36pm
    I would also like to hear about this idea from other teachers. I have been curious about how others do this.

• imagiNATION 09/02/2012 at 10:02pm
    I teach K-6 and am using a Cognitive Growth Rubric for K-4. I have a tracker in my room that is just the levels displayed with pictures and descriptions. I put velcro by each level and made little tags for each student that the get to put on the level that they are currently on. As the grow they move their name. I also use portfolios for all grade levels. All projects are graded on a standard rubric so students (and people who want proof) can see growth through each project. If you would like examples of these resources I would be happy to get them to you!

• jfrisco 09/03/2012 at 06:40am
    Yes please imagiNATION! I would LOVE examples of the standard rubric especially. :) Thanks!

• Eponine24601 09/06/2012 at 05:53pm
    imagiNATION I would also love to see an example of this too! :)

We just switched to this in my state as well. What we decided to do was give a pre-test of vocabulary and concepts we will present that year. We also chose one type of artwork (in our case, a still life of sunflowers in a vase) which students use oil pastel to draw and we assess via a rubric. Halfway through the year we reassess and see where we're at. We do the same at the end of the year. I'll be curious to see what ideas others are using!

Another great idea for those of you who use Artsonia.com is that you could use that as a portfolio. I love this because I don't have to store the student work as it is all there digitally.

• artboiler 09/09/2012 at 12:13pm
    It would be great to see what rubrics others are using. When I went back to look what plan the previous art teacher had put in place, I discovered there was already a rubric created based upon Indiana's art standards. I am going to live with it for this year because it has already been state approved, but for next year I think I will have the kids switch to a 1 page portfolio where the kids photograph and write about their work throughout the semester.

• Hope200 02/10/2013 at 11:08am
    Our district requires pre and post tests to show growth. I would love to use a portfolio system, and I do for my Middle School classes. But, growth is only recognized by my district in terms of data. Sad, because I think art portfolios show growth more dynamically.

• Hope200 02/10/2013 at 11:10am
    imagiNATION, I would like to see a copy of the Cognitive Growth Rubric for K-4. Can you post it on here or pinterest someplace?

• jbucher 07/09/2013 at 01:40pm
    I would LOVE to see the rubric as well!

• Ms-Organized-Chaos 08/11/2013 at 02:08pm
    This is SUCH a difficult concept to capture for art students across grades especially in their younger years. To capture a portfolio of the students I try to keep up with my artsonia throughout the year to show growth in skills and such.... a portion of my teaching evaluation is documentation of student growth.... help! I could use some more ideas!