Your email*

Best Practice [Question]

Potters Wheel in Elementary Art

Started on Sep 09, 2012 by RVArtist
Last post on Feb 21, 2015

I have acquired a tabletop potters wheel. I am unsure of how to put it to its best use in the 40 minutes I have with my students, especially since I only have one to use. Does anyone teach wheel throwing in elementary and if so how do you do this with a limited number of wheels?

1 Keeps, 1 Likes, 7 Comments

• jfrisco 09/10/2012 at 08:25pm
    If you have an art club you could rotate students. Just a thought...

• amyhartman 09/12/2012 at 03:25pm
    I have two pottery wheels at the elementary level. I agree with the art club comment. Rotating students works if another adult could be present...maybe a visiting potter or art ed student from a local college.

• AmyHall 09/30/2012 at 10:05am
    I have also been thinking of investing in a wheel, but need to justify its use. One of the purposes I'd like to use it for is for a Service learning project, making bowls for an Empty Bowl program that raises money for our local food pantry - we'd donate the bowls and they'd be sold at a fundraiser. I'm blessed with small classes, so rotating kids through the wheel wouldn't be to bad, but with more than 20, I guess their time would be limited. Perhaps have them work in pairs or groups helping each other and rotate the pairs/groups.

• RVArtist 01/15/2013 at 02:18pm
    Thanks! I'd really like to get my students involved in the Empty Bowl program too. Great idea.

• Thoch626 02/18/2013 at 01:42pm
    I had a electric wheel donated this year. I spent an entire class period demonstrating it to my 5th graders. Now, as they are working on other projects, and if behavior permits, 1-3 students will get the opportunity to go on the wheel. It has been difficult, because I have to bright beside them guiding them the whole time. Only have had a a few successful pieces but the kids love it and look forward to it. I want to get involved in the Empty bowl program also, but it would probably be best to do with art clubby small group.

• kruger_d 04/11/2014 at 05:51am
    Maybe some spin art paintings?

• RVArtist 02/21/2015 at 02:31pm
    Spin Art Paintings could be really interesting! Never thought of that.