Your email*

Personal [Conversation]

What to do when some students finish really fast

Started on Sep 12, 2012 by andreafuentes
Last post on Feb 18, 2013

MISS, I'M DONE!! Busy students equal a smooth classroom. But restless students who work fast, especially boys, can be disruptive if they are done early. Do you have any ideas to share for the DONE EARLY kids?

3 Keeps, 0 Likes, 9 Comments

• lovetocreate 09/13/2012 at 04:45am
    If the student has finished to the best of his/her ability I have an area set up in my room where they can free draw, read an art book, build like an architect, or play an art game/puzzle.

• SuperMrsGardner 09/13/2012 at 01:33pm
    When a student finishes early and has done the project to the best of their ability I have several options for them to choose. They can choose to draw a picture that will be mailed to the local newspaper which may be printed in the comic section of the Sunday paper. I also have a large collection of kids magazines (obtained from the media center at the end of the year) and they can sit and read. I also have learn to draw books that some students enjoy using.

• VABartTeacher 09/14/2012 at 04:34pm
    I teach HS and I have early finishers for every project too. I keep them busy with "side" art projects. I am always being asked to help paint or make something so I make a list and work my way through them based on need and due date. Examples of side projects are; murals ( large and small), posters, different things for school clubs / sports, I always have clay projects either for school or art club students can paint.

• She_paints 09/25/2012 at 08:05pm
    Plastic sleeves containing projects starters are stored in a ring binder. From laminated, crossword puzzles (Thin line, dry markers are used) to copies of half a face reproduced in black 'n white. Fashion magazines have fabulous faces with great shading (ah, high cheek bones). The collection in the 3-ring binder is popular. Plus, I constantly add to it.
    Sometimes a student may just borrow an image of a cloud and try to reproduce it. How 'bout removing the paper from small crayons? (I melt the small pieces down later) The disruptive sort should love it! They could sort warm and cool colors while they are at it.

• AmyHall 09/28/2012 at 12:37pm
    My kids love their sketchbooks so happily work in there when they are done... I may write an idea starter on the board, or sometimes just let them draw from observation.

I also give them the option of a "mimi project" - based on what we are currently doing so they may just make a smaller version of the project, using the same materials - this mini option can go home with them while I keep all other work in their portfolios... that way they are still improving on the techniques we are currently doing.

• imagiNATION 09/29/2012 at 03:27pm
    My students really love How To Draw books and while we don't use them for class, I think their free time is a great time for them to get a chance to trace or free draw their interests. I say anything that gets them drawing! I also have Klean Klay (the stuff that doesn't dry) that kids can choose to use as an early finish activity. Something I just started doing is a "bonus project" which they start in one class and then can work on in subsequent classes when they finish. It usually involves something that takes a lot of time to color, etc. that students would usually get bored with if they were forced to do it but I have found it to be pretty successful when it is broken up into when-your-finished-segments. This worked great for 3rd graders as a bonus project. http://plastiquem.blogspot.com/2012/02/peix-o-piranya.html (it's in Spanish but you get the idea from the pictures) It was easy for them to draw once I demoed and they have been working on the color on their own time. They LOVE them.

• Thoch626 02/18/2013 at 01:10pm
    I have a checklist that the students must check off ( project criteria, rubric for self-evaluation, clean up, artist statement for 5th graders), then they may go to to the "creation stations" that I discovered on Pinterest. Here they have choices of free draw, coloring pages, puzzles, how t draw books, creative games, play dough, or the art library. They enjoy going to these so much, that many try to rush through their projects. If I see that happening, I'll close the creation station and encourage them to focus on the current project. If everyone finishes, it's perfect time for a quick class critique to end the class with.