Your email*

Supplies [Question]

Coloured Pencil Management

Started on Sep 15, 2012 by tala23
Last post on Feb 02, 2013

At school my students use watercolour pencils, I am forever trying to keep the full sets together. Do you have another way to keep/store them together.The tins the pencils come in are getting broken, lids fallen off etc. We have about 50 sets of these pencils and they are driving me mad as not one is a complete set.

3 Keeps, 0 Likes, 8 Comments

• jfrisco 09/15/2012 at 06:05am
    I use artificial flower foam blocks, wrap them in duct tape and packaging tape, measure enough holes for the amount of colored pencils I need, and poke through with an awl. Then I put the colored pencils in with points facing down. It works well for my students.

• pencilsandpalettes 09/16/2012 at 03:22pm
    jfrisco, that's awesome. I love that idea- cheap, too!

How about storing them in warm vs cool vs neutral? This helps me. Even though I'm OCD about it, they can still learn/teach each other while sorting supplies during cleanup.

• nancyrae1 09/20/2012 at 02:08pm
    That is wonderful you are using colored pencils in your lessons! What a great way to sneak painting into your art curriculuum. So many kids get stressed over the use of water color painting! I used to utilize an appointed "supply monitor" -available at cleanup time. This can be a parent volunteer, older student classroom helper, or a station point. Each student must quickly present their container of pencils to the monitor at cleanup time. (Or Can raise hand when ready for a quick inspection). This also teaches responsibility and care for art materials. Of course, if the sets are already mismatched or incomplete, you would have to "fix" each set first, perhaps even purchasing a couple of new pencil sets or pencils if necessary to get them up to par.

• Jenncook678 09/28/2012 at 03:05am
    I have my pencil crayon boxes numbered and I had them out according to the seating plan. That way students know that I will know who is and isn't cleaning up properly. It seems to be working well so far... But I love jfrisco's idea!

• imagiNATION 09/29/2012 at 03:11pm
    I also use the number system. And I make a big deal about keeping their stuff together while we are using them. I try to do a quick clean up check before I dismiss them (sometimes this gets nixed if we run out of time...) and was thinking about having materials check out/in be a class job for a responsible student. Usually if kids know they are going to held accountable they tend to shape up.

• remembertheshadows 10/02/2012 at 12:12pm
    Color pencils in a slide out plastic drawer, one of 3 drawers in the plasic box/container. Markers in one, Crayons in the other. Should the pencils need sharpening at the end of the session, they are dropped into a box, near the pencil sharpener. Students come by before or after school to sharpen as many as they can before the electric sharpener overheats. It is their classroom. They take care of it and their supplies.

• ArtKat0508 10/14/2012 at 08:37am
    I use the zip lock baggies and color families. The students can keep track of it themselves and although they may not be complete sets there is no color group completely missing.

• MrsAuld 02/02/2013 at 02:23pm
    I have different cups all in one bucket and I sort by colour.
    I find that because they are sorted all ready, there is less of a chance of someone dumping all their colours in one cup.
    It also helps me know which colours are getting too small or running low. As I purchase new brands I just keep putting them together and it increases the variety!