Your email*

Organization [Conversation]

No Name on Projects!

Started on Sep 15, 2012 by byhwdy
Last post on Sep 27, 2013

I've been working on figuring out ways to organize art work for students -- one of the challenges is no name on projects. I have always had table folders and all students at that table just put their projects in, but then if they don't put their names on, it can be an issue.What do you do?

3 Keeps, 0 Likes, 16 Comments

• byhwdy 09/15/2012 at 09:24am
    This year, I had them make personal folders to go inside the table folders and I'm hoping that helps. I also made a "don't forget your name" poster and jokingly show it to them, like they would "forget" their name, right?

• byhwdy 09/15/2012 at 09:24am
    I'll post the poster in documents if I can figure out how! What do you do to help students remember to sign/put their name on projects?

• pencilsandpalettes 09/16/2012 at 03:24pm
    Before I even demonstrate the project, the students must put a label on their paper with first and last name, grade/teacher and date.

• RuthByrne 09/19/2012 at 04:41am
    I often have no namers at the beginning of the year, so maybe my method needs tweaking, but in the moments before clean up time and have the kids freeze, flip their papers (if possible), and sign their name on the back. I can see if they've flipped so I know if they're doing it. Then I check the kids before clean up, I look right at them and say: you're name is on your paper, right? the repetition of this early in the year seems to keep the work labeled later in the year.

• ronnidart 09/23/2012 at 05:11pm
    I use individual folders as well. They serve as both place mats as well as portfolios. My first instruction is to put their names and their class on their project. Sometimes, if I have forgotten to do that, I will make them stop what their doing and put it on then. With the Pre-K, kindergarten, and sometimes first, I write their names and class on their project before I give them the materials.

• imagiNATION 09/23/2012 at 07:33pm
    Names first. They don't touch other art materials until their name is on their paper. Then as I circulate the room I double check their names. It is a process but it saves a lot of headache later.

• lhARTz 09/25/2012 at 11:45am
    I have a no-name folder for each grade. When students don't see their artwork in the hall, they know to check my no-name folder. This usually gets most of the no-namers claimed because everyone wants their art in the hall on display!

• She_paints 09/25/2012 at 07:35pm
    Each student receives a 10x13" white envelope. Their 1st project is to decorate it. My only requirement: It must have 3 quotes from a collection of artist statement representing how they(the student) feels about art. We discuss in the beginning of the year WHY an artist needs a portfolio. The portfolios get quite thick by the end of the year. Should the student wish to revisit a project, it is their responsibility to know where it is.

• AmyHall 09/26/2012 at 03:53pm
    I have an artwork graveyard with un-named projects. If its just a few - I clip them to the board with a 'Mystery Artist" sign for the kids to claim.

• egschweng 09/27/2012 at 04:39pm
    This is an issue that I have had particularly with 3D projects. The way I've battled it is putting a post it with the grade written on it that says, "Turn in to teacher". They bring it to me, I get the post it and tell them they get construction points off for no name (which they are aware before hand). I also take points off for initials, like this year I have 3 J.W. in one class.

It's not something that will go away, but I find that it helps me as I am able to grade it, they see the issue right off the bat when they get their projects.

I also do not have students turn in project folders to me. They complete a project, I will have them turn it in to me with a written reflection. That reflection will be placed with the artwork. It has helped with no names as they tend to remember to write their name on the reflection.

• remembertheshadows 10/02/2012 at 12:01pm
    Hey Egschweng........ Like the reflection idea. Thanks.

• Monlisamama 10/08/2012 at 06:26pm
    I have over 600 students and this has always been a huge problem. Until this year! I have a chart that has every class on it. At the end of the class I rate the behavior, work habits etc and give each class either a "Mona Lisa" for excellence, a "Thinker" (Roudin) for average and a "Scream"(Munch) for poor behavior. If they get a Mona Lisa their push pin moves a Mona Lisa Mile, a "Thinker" stays in place and a "Scream" moves back a mile. This year I added a column next to each class for "bonus" points. Every time we have a class that has had no "no name" work or missing work, they get a bonus point. Five bonus points earns an extra Mona Lisa mile. This has been miraculous! Suddenly I have almost NO unidentified work.

• tala23 10/12/2012 at 05:00pm
    At the beginning of each year the students are told they will use their initials and room number on all their work. Eg- TA 5. If there are students with the same letters they use their middle name initials as well. I have a class list with the intials next to them.We call it their 'tag'. At the end of each lesson we have a 'tag' checker. Students love it.

• MrsImpey 12/01/2012 at 07:12pm
    I have a "No Name" bin that the artwork goes into. I don't waste time trying to figure out whose is whose. If it goes in the bin, they automatically lose 2 points. I even have it on their rubric...no name = 0 points, illegibile name = 1 point, name (but was in no name bin) = 3 points, legible name=4 points.

I also hung a stop sign that says "Stop! Is your name on that?" on my drying rack and on my front chalk board as a reminder. This has been working really well so far this year. A lot less no namers!

• Hope200 02/04/2013 at 05:11pm
    During the first part of the activity, their first step is to write their name. Then, they have to pair-share with a neighbor and show them their name. That way, if they didn't do it, their neighbor will catch them. Hopefully!

• MissB13 09/27/2013 at 01:30am
    I have a sign that has about six clothespins on it (mine happen to be jungle theme since that is the theme I have for the room this year) and on the top it reads "No Name!" I list out students who do not have a grade for a project and I tell them that the first place they need to check is the No Name sign to see if their work is there...