Your email*

Planning [Question]

Canvases - what to do?!?!

Started on Oct 21, 2012 by AmyHall
Last post on Aug 16, 2014

Hi! I found an amazing deal on framed canvases and have enough for each of my 3rd and 4th graders... any awesome suggestions for what to do? I'd like to use acrylic. They are mostly 11x14.

0 Keeps, 0 Likes, 6 Comments

• MrsImpey 12/01/2012 at 07:09pm
    Have lots of crayons? Do some crayon art! I did that to try and get rid of crayons last year so I wouldn't have to throw them out!

I love using acrylic with impressionism paintings...Starry Night!

• stapier01 12/04/2012 at 08:22am
    I like to do a high success project on canvas because it will be kept for a very long time! With 5th grade, I take a digital pic of each student, posterize it on photoshop, and then print out the picture. Posterizing turns the picture into a set number of values (I usually pick 5). Then they trace around the value shapes on top of carbon paper to transfer it to their canvas. Then mix the values to paint their self portrait! We use acrylics.

• RVArtist 01/26/2013 at 08:14am
    Where did you find this great deal?? :-) I want some too!

• Hope200 02/04/2013 at 05:06pm
    My primary students would love to paint on canvas. Unfortunately, they don't get to do it until Middle School. My lesson is to simply create their own character. For example, so many girls want to paint Hello Kitty, but I tell them they have to change it to make it "their own." (Otherwise they are infringing on copyrights.) After they have their drawing to size, they can transfer it by pencil to the canvas. They have to paint the backgrounds first. Then block in the large areas. Details are last. The final step is to take chisel black marker and go over all the lines in smooth strokes. Then sign in marker. They usually always turn out great if they follow the steps.

• Astabeth 02/28/2013 at 01:12pm
    I agree with stapier01 - parents will want to keep it! Pop art is usually pretty easy for students to have a high success rate with.

• MrsLee 08/16/2014 at 09:37am
    I use bright fish for children this age on that size canvas. They can paint in the blue/ green background, draw fish on paper to transfer, glue on or trace out to paint. I suggest painting the shapes white before adding color. It lends well to sharing as they may trade their fish shapes, or be required to. Color theory is a nature for discussion as the cool color fish blend in and the warm ones pop out, there isn't a right or wrong - just an informed decision. Set a minimum on the fish size, avoids frustration with painting outside the lines.