Your email*

Personal [Conversation]

Note Taking in Primary grades

Started on Oct 26, 2012 by RuthByrne
Last post on Feb 18, 2013

I had to share my success with this somewhere. And then ask, what kind of notes do your students take? What do you think is most important for them to retain from presentations of exemplary art?

0 Keeps, 0 Likes, 5 Comments

• RuthByrne 10/26/2012 at 08:06am
    Art is the perfect place to learn how to take notes. I have first graders sitting to view slides of art with pencil (or crayons) and paper in hand. They take picture notes by drawing components of the paintings they think are memorable and jot down written notes I write on the board (color, shape, Henri Matisse). When we move to the artist inspired project the kids are brimming with ideas and more successful in their execution. They also seem to remember names and ideas more readily if they have represented them pictorally or verbally on paper. I'll have to share some pictures of their fabulous note taking papers.

• theclickchick 11/05/2012 at 04:47pm
    I use an 'Art Start' sheet for every 3-5 student. They get a new one at the beginning of each 5-day rotation. Upon entering class, students answer a question that is displayed on the smartboard pertaining to that week's lesson- I usually take the first 5 minutes of class for this. I also have space on the Art Start sheet for key vocabulary and note taking. Students know that this is part of their art grade. The Art Start helps organize their thoughts and reinforce what they are learning throughout the week, and that art is academic.

• MrsImpey 12/01/2012 at 07:08pm
    I do notes with my 6th graders. For each unit (which is based on a different culture) they receive a note packet. They have to fill in the blanks as we go through the packet. The packet also includes places for them to do a plan/sketch for the unit projects, and the rubric for each project. I don't necessarily do notes for other classes at this point.

• Hope200 02/04/2013 at 05:09pm
    We have a "Dropping in on " video once a week. The primary students must write the artist's name down on their artwork. The older primarys, 4th and 5th, have to answer a few questions about the artist and his/her style. This is in a format, usually a printed handout, where they fill in the blanks. At the bottom is a large blank rectangle where they draw something that will remind them of the artist we are studying.

• ltcsig 02/18/2013 at 02:59pm
    With Elementary students I like to have them make a sketchbook at the beginning of the year. When they learn a concept, an artist, or a new medium, I have them keep notes- usually copy simple information off the board and draw a picture to remember it.
    They use these at the end of each unit to answer questions about what they've learned.