Your email*

Best Practice [Question]

HELP! Hanging student art....

Started on Dec 13, 2012 by urbanart
Last post on Mar 22, 2019

I need ideas for fast, efficient ways to hang student work. How can I do this without masking tape?!

3 Keeps, 1 Likes, 20 Comments

• urbanart 12/13/2012 at 10:14am
    I am in a K-8 school. I do not have any bulletin board space. Other teachers have bulletin board strips. But there is not enough for all of my art classes work to be hung.

I plan on using the massive amounts of wall space that I have available, but it is painted brick wall. (not the most adhesive surface.

Limitations: I do not have access to bulletin paper to back the walls. There is nothing to tie string to- to hang with clothes pins.

I have used masking tape- which works. However, I don't have time to roll four pieces of tape to hang each work. (and the principal is very strict about having students assist.

I think I remember a teacher telling me they used rubber cement... because it comes off easily and glues paper to the wall.... anyone else heard this? This is my next experiment.

• Abbyesc 12/14/2012 at 08:02am
    3M makes a double sided tape that is foamy and doesn't destroy artwork and walls. It's pretty strong.

• tawhelan 12/14/2012 at 10:09am
    My building person probably wouldn't like me, but I use a low heat glue gun. If you give it a second to harden a bit (and I mean just one or two seconds) then you can put it on the concrete brick wall, but then you can easily take it down. I have never had the paint come off. It doesn't work on drywall, tho.

• lhunziker 12/14/2012 at 02:44pm
    I have many bulletin boards but in my classroom I use a glue gun to hang posters. It comes off easily and holds quite well. Another quick tip, I always cut the art paper for students one inch by one inch smaller so that I can quickly mount nice pieces to a standard size piece of black paper before hanging. It makes the pieces look more polished and it doesn't take much work.

• LauraLuebbert 12/15/2012 at 06:37am
    I use a glue gun too! It works really well and things don't fall off the wall. I would also suggest quick clips which have a tacky surface that you press onto the wall and then they could stay up there and you wouldn't have to keep using tape or glue. I think they came from school specialty... To save time, I staple narrow strips of construction paper between student work to make a grouping of 3 pieces of art in a column and then you just have to adhere the top piece and you're done!

• ArtKat0508 12/19/2012 at 05:49am
    I have made display racks from wire closet shelves. Zip tie two together and stand them vertical. You can hang art on the front and the back. I also use them to dry prints from printmaking projects.

• lhARTz 01/04/2013 at 12:25pm
    We aren't allowed to use tape on our walls! I have cork strips along the top of the wall but the rest of the wall below is blank. I have a mountain of sticky tack that I use. It works great but I hate peeling it off when I take down the art.

• RuthByrne 01/09/2013 at 04:39am
    When I hang my art show I use the large rolls of kraftpaper, I glue lots of work down to the paper and then hang it on the cork strip ( do use tape for the corners to keep it from rolling). It basically wall papers the school. When I take it down I cut around the work, leaving the student with their work on a black "frame" to take home.

• RVArtist 01/15/2013 at 03:45pm
    I run a line of white yarn down the wall with glued down Christmas light clips. I have paper clips strung on it and so whenever I want to hang something up I can. It is like a clothes line. It has been working for me for three years!

• aartwebb 02/09/2013 at 07:25am
    Have you tried Mounting Putty? You can buy it at any major store, sometimes drug stores have it too. It's the same blue color as the painters tape. I use it to hang all sorts of things. It works on almost any wall. As far as I can tell right now it's recyclable too!

• gingerose 02/18/2013 at 05:16pm
    Use a low temp glue gun and the paint usually does not peel.

• TheresaGillespie 02/21/2013 at 06:53pm
    I also have used a low temp glue gun on brick.

• MsAlkire 02/27/2013 at 07:43pm
    I had that same trouble too, our walls are painted brick so no staples and tape works for about an hour before its starts falling off. So I asked our building tech to hang wire on the walls outside my art room and across the hallway(with my principals permission of course, I told her it would be cost effective since I wouldn't have to buy so much tape and save time when hanging). So the maintenance man drilled some nails and then strung some wire I brought from home. I use clothes pins to hang the artwork and its really fast and easy.

• Astabeth 02/28/2013 at 01:07pm
    I use velcro dots - I mount work on the same black railroad board over and over and I have velcro dots that are measured out to the same size on the wall. Easy to take down and put back up.

• jfrisco 04/16/2013 at 04:56pm
    I use Zero Residue Duct Tape.

• Hope200 05/16/2013 at 10:24am
    These are some great ideas. Our's is an outdoor school, with bricks. So it is really hard to get anything to stick to it! The only place to display artwork is in the cafeteria, but there are pillars painted on the walls which really interferes with student work. I thought about portable gallery walls, too.

• dirkusa2001 03/22/2019 at 05:53pm
    I've used teacher's tape works great on the painted brick walls.
    http://www.teacherstape.com/
    It is affordable. Doesn't pull up paint and I have my students put it on the back of the art and then I can hang on the walls.