Your email*

Advocacy [Question]

Youth Art Month

Started on Feb 17, 2013 by greengal1
Last post on Oct 16, 2013

Youth Art Month (March) is a few weeks away. How do you celebrate Youth Art Month in your school, district, community or state wide?

4 Keeps, 0 Likes, 12 Comments

• RVArtist 02/18/2013 at 07:31am
    We are celebrating this year by having an evening event that focuses on Vincent Van Gogh. Every grade level is learning about Van Gogh and creating a project based on his artwork. All of the Van Gogh artwork will be on display in our gallery (school hallways dressed up) and we will have a scavenger hunt based on the didactic information posted with their artwork. There will be a few different rotations where the kids can create some make and take projects based on Van Gogh's sunflowers and Starry Night. Vincent himself will be there to meet and greet with the students. Part of their scavenger hunt is meeting Vincent and getting his signature.
    Last year we focused on Pop Art for YAM and studied Warhol. The kids loved meeting Andy and it was a wonderful event.

• ltcsig 02/18/2013 at 02:29pm
    I always enjoyed having my upper level elementary students to design YAM flags for the state art association.

• gingerose 02/18/2013 at 05:06pm
    We take a closer look at Escher and tesselations.

• MrsImpey 02/19/2013 at 04:06pm
    This is my first year for YAM. I will be doing a few things:

1. The firt week will be a spirit week:
    Monday: Wear primary colors
    Tuesday: Wear secondary colors
    Wednesday: Wear complementary colors
    Thursday: Wear a warm or cool colored outfit
    Friday: Crazy pattern day.

2. The second Friday of the month will be dress like a piece of pop art (wear popular clothing, logos, stripes and polka-dots, etc.).

3. The third Friday will be a big dress-up day. Dress like your favorite artwork/artist. I will be sending home a packet with students to give them ideas (dress in black with bald head for Jackson Pollock, uni-brow and floral dress for Frida Kahlo, etc.).

4. I am asking that each Elementary teacher read a book to their class about an artist and do an activity based on that artist in class. Then, I will do a follow-up art project in art class based on that artist.

5. I will have the YAM logo on one of the school bulletin boards where students and faculty will have the opportunity to write what their favorite/most memorable experience is/was from art class.

6. I will have a daily art trivia question. Winners will receive a sketchbook.'

Next year I hope to be able to plan well enough in advance to have a parent/student art night at school in our gym!

• artclasswithlmj 02/21/2013 at 03:13pm
    This year we are celebrating Van Gogh's birthday!

• TheresaGillespie 02/21/2013 at 06:14pm
    Mrslmpey - Awesome ideas! I've always thought about doing different things but being in 3 different buildings makes it hard to get others on board. I try to put a large paper or poster up for students to interact with. They can add sticky notes or drawings about what art means to them.

• Hope200 02/23/2013 at 01:51pm
    The art room will show a Vincent Van Gogh video. Then, each class will make Van Gogh inspired artwork. We will have a Van Gogh art student of the month!

• RuthByrne 02/28/2013 at 08:10am
    Very cool, I love the interactive display ideas, giving kdis and teachers a moment to reflect on art experiences.
    We always just have our art show during April, It's a huge event, but it doesn't really focus on YAM per say.

• ITeachArtnTX 02/28/2013 at 03:06pm
    We are very fortunate that our local Art Museum dedicates the entire month of March to our schools' artwork. Thousands come to see the show, and I'm sure borrow some ideas. Our Administration Building is also filled with Elementary art. Receptions are held at the Museum for the kids and their families, and they come dressed in their Sunday best for photos. It is a very exciting time for us and the kids, as it is a great honor to have their work selected for the show.

• RuthByrne 02/28/2013 at 06:01pm
    What an amazing partnership. How did you work this out with the museum?

• missfinney 03/01/2013 at 08:56am
    I actually did this last month, but you could do an artist study on Van Gogh. :)

• CreativeFreckles 10/16/2013 at 07:16am
    We have a community art gallery that features local students during this time. Each art teacher picks approx. 4 pieces per class (elementary level) and they go into the art show. It's difficult with multiple buildings and nearly 700 students. We mat and hang all of the work. It is a ton of work, and lots of extra hours after school, but the kids really love seeing their work and the kids' faces who are chosen...they just light up when they find out their artwork is going to hang in a "real" gallery!