Your email*

Experience [Question]

Firing with armatures

Started on May 09, 2013 by Thoch626
Last post on Dec 01, 2013

Does anyone fire clay pieces with paper or cardboard armatures still in them? Does it smoke outside the kiln? Heard it damages coils too? Any experience with this would be helpful.

0 Keeps, 0 Likes, 5 Comments

• Thoch626 05/16/2013 at 08:42am
    Thanks for your input, I fired a load with toilet paper rolls inside some and they turned out fine.

• lhARTz 05/26/2013 at 05:38am
    My students make clay rattles and we use bits of paper towel around each rattle piece, so they stay separate while drying. The small amount of paper towel turned to ash or disintegrated in the kiln. Didn't cause damage at all.

• MrsImpey 05/28/2013 at 02:05am
    I've used newspaper for projects on the inside. Once the kiln is fired, the kids just have to dump out the ashes from the newspaper. No problems!

• TooCoolStuff 12/01/2013 at 03:27pm
    Large pieces have trouble "shrinking" without breakage without removing armatures. All depends upon on tightly (firmly) they are created and how firmly clay is applied. Also, be aware drying time has to lengthen to account for damp armatures. And, we are just talking paper products here (possibly some plastic bags, wrapping...) but fumes should be vented as paper and plastic just add to that which your students should not be exposed to anyway.