Your email*

Technology [Question]

Yearbook programs

Started on May 28, 2013 by AmyHall
Last post on Jun 18, 2014

Hey! I do my school's yearbook. We currently use Belfour for design and publishing. We are looking at switching to a softcover and possibly use different software. Any suggestions??

0 Keeps, 0 Likes, 6 Comments

• cmbmorgan 06/10/2013 at 11:39pm
    I too am the yearbook advisor. We use Herffjones as our printer and they are wonderful. I've been using them for 10 years now. You will use a program called eDesign. It's really easy... Good luck!

• akniskern 08/06/2013 at 09:53am
    We use Lifetouch-they have this whole program for design and it's pretty easy for new users to understand (this was my first year doing yearbooks). I thought the picture quality was nice too, especially since some of the pictures we put in I was worried about them being blurry, but they came out nice and clear.

• kimber1964 08/26/2013 at 02:13pm
    We've had good experience with "Remember Me" and have used their online program for about 7 years now. Very reasonable prices and easy to work with. You can find more info at rememberme.biz.

• Scorchard 04/17/2014 at 11:12pm
    I'm a yearbook advisor. We publish through Marathon (we have to go though our local photography studio to do so). The print quality is great and the price is super affordable - about half of what Jostens was charging us previously.
    We use Adobe InDesign. It seems overwhelming at first but the "Classroom in a Book" for the software is very well written and helpful.

• JenJulene 04/24/2014 at 12:51pm
    Scorchard. We use InDesign as well as we like students learning this software and the freedom for our own layout and design. We have been with Herff Jones, but they keep trying to force us to use their online drop & drag software. Can you give more info regarding Marathon?

• Scorchard 06/18/2014 at 12:04am
    Sorry that I didn't comment back sooner!

Marathon is a publishing company that usually works with small photography businesses, so you would need a local company to go through. I go through the photography studio that does all of our school/athletic portraits but pay Marathon directly. Photography studios can choose to take a cut of the production price but ours does not.

Marathon's support staff are super helpful. If there are any issues with bleeds/warps/layouts they will let you know before they begin printing. The first proof that they send you is free and the turnaround between proof approval and final shipment is wicked fast - I think ours was only 4 weeks this year.

A word of caution - if you have InDesign, use it. Do NOT use their 'Pelican' or "PhotoFusion" software because it is terrible. Our first production with Marathon was a headache purely due to technical issues with their software.