Your email*

Personal [Conversation]

Classroom Atmosphere

Started on Jan 30, 2014 by MrsKey
Last post on May 30, 2014

If I walked into your high school art classroom what would the atmosphere be? Are the students quiet and working? Are they discussing their projects with each other? Are they working and talking and having fun? Or do they do all of the above and it depends on what day I walk in? :)What do your classes look like?

0 Keeps, 0 Likes, 4 Comments

• MrsKey 01/30/2014 at 09:34am
    I've taught several different ways...When I started I was much more strict and students didn't talk during studio time. I've eased wayyyyyyyyyy up, now I'm wondering if I've eased up too much.

• Me1issa08 02/05/2014 at 06:10am
    I'm at the beginning of a new Drawing II class right now. They come in, put their headphones in and begin their bellringer assignments. Then they work the ENTIRE time on their projects and rarely talk... It is NOT the norm in my room. In fact... it is kind of strange. I do play music for them too.

My photography classes are kind of middle of the road. Right now they are very quiet because the semester just started. I am also very fortunate (or not?) to have pretty small classes this semester. I think that when we are done taking notes etc. and they get to know eachother a little more and get into the darkroom it will become more chatty.

My Art I class is a world of difference. I think they are much more comfortable with me/their classmates and they are very chatty. I don't neccessarily mind this. I like to have conversations with them. As long as they are having appropriate conversations and getting their work done I am happy!

• celiaparsons 02/12/2014 at 02:59pm
    I started out super strict too with my classes. Over the years I have allowed them to talk more to each other to create a more studio like environment. Now students are helping one another out on projects and discussing the projects more in addition to getting to know their peers. I always have music on using Pandora and let them pick the stations so they can listen to music they like.

• windsorartist 05/30/2014 at 04:56pm
    I have a studio atmosphere also which includes music. I keep talking to a minimal for high productivity. Students get to do work in progress critiques to keep conversations on art. I am pretty layed back and love to talk to students but I try to keep them focused on the project at hand most of the time. It just makes higher quality art.