Your email*

General [Question]

Giving out supplies

Started on Jul 03, 2014 by Whimber
Last post on Aug 13, 2014

As an art teacher, I've had several other teachers ask to use my supplies. (Paint, glue sticks, paper). I was was wondering how other teachers handle this?

0 Keeps, 0 Likes, 6 Comments

• svorrasi 07/09/2014 at 12:34am
    I say no to these teachers for the most part and they have come to respect that. When I first started teaching and I would say yes to teachers they would send students in the middle of my classes to borrow things and it got old fast. As art teacher our budgets are limited and need to be well managed and that's hard to do when we loan out our materials to teachers that are not experts in managing materials like we are!

• imagiNATION 07/10/2014 at 02:06am
    I generally just asses if we have extra of that and then say yes (I inherited a mass quantity of construction paper in old gross colors so that is free for all haha) or tell them no, I'm sorry we are using that for our project. It is tough to say no but as svorrasi said above, if you are always giving things out you won't have supplies! I haven't tried this but it may be good to request a class set of scissors and/or glue and things to keep in the teachers lounge or supplies closet that can be kept for general use of teachers.

• KimberlyMoe 07/17/2014 at 08:39am
    Its funny how they always send a student to ask for supplies! I will borrow - only if they are supplies that I am willing to part with - but then suggest to the teacher that they build this into their budget, as I have, or have them ask the students to provide their own supplies. Being the art teacher, I always have a lot of strange things on hand, and I am happy to assist a student with something needed for their creative project in another class - but not supplying the whole class with glue sticks or paint for a project that the other class has consistently. These things I will not borrow, as said above, our budgets are limited! I also purchase (built into my budget) general school use poster making supplies, such as tempera paint. However as soon as my budget gets cut, this will be the first thing to go!

• mediabeth 07/17/2014 at 12:15pm
    My principal asked me to order a "starter kit" of construction paper, markers and color pencils for the other teachers when I put in my art supply order. I plan on severely limiting other requests by individual teachers.

• MsK_Braun 08/06/2014 at 04:49am
    Since the teachers at my school donate SO MUCH stuff to me at the end of the school year (boxes of glue, pounds of paper, and dried markers to make into paint) I try to accommodate as much as I can. That said, if I don't have it, I don't have it! I'm going to try and set up a space that teachers can go and take what they need without interrupting instruction, just haven't quite figured out how yet!

• MrBoettger 08/13/2014 at 04:09am
    I keep a box of supplies that are not detrimental to my program. Thats what I lend out. It does become problematic when they interrupt the class or send the supply back with a different student who then needs to be directed as to where to place it