Your email*

Planning [Question]

Maternity leave

Started on Dec 18, 2014 by aricad
Last post on May 12, 2016

I will be leaving at the end of April and May not return till the next year. Any advice? Curriculum you want to share? I thought this would be a good time for art history, and an end of the year artist research project. Lessons, pacing guides, advice are all welcome.

1 Keeps, 0 Likes, 7 Comments

• Me1issa08 12/19/2014 at 12:55pm
    Will you have an art certified sub to take your place?

• aricad 01/05/2015 at 11:37am
    Most likely no. That's why I'm struggling to provide an enriching curriculum a non certified art teacher can do.

• aricad 01/05/2015 at 11:42am
    I have held off doing an artist research project, I thought this may be a good time to do it. Maybe a research paper, presentation, and art project?

• aricad 01/05/2015 at 12:49pm
    I teach 6,7,and 8
    Beginning Art, Intermediate Art, And Advanced.
    I'm going to move my ceramics unit up and get that out of the way before I leave. I'm trying to find lessons that a non-art major can teach.

• Laurensnider310 02/13/2015 at 11:13am
    That stinks that you won't have an art teacher filling in for you. I'm a sub in NY and it's impossible finding an art job here, even a leave position.

• michellev71 05/12/2016 at 10:24am
    When I left for maternity leave in 2008, I came back in the Winter as a co-teacher and we didn't have art. The next year, I taught reading and then after two years of not having art, we got the position back in 2010. It was sad not to have anyone in the position and I was happy to help someone teach it, but my principal didn't want to do that. Fortunately when he was replaced, our new principal was all for putting art back into the mix.