Your email*

Personal [Question]

Best Lessons For a 30 Minute Art Class?

Started on Sep 13, 2015 by Jarasane
Last post on May 18, 2016

I teach elementary art and I move from classroom to classroom. I also only have 30 minutes once a week for every class. What kinds of lessons would be ideal given these conditions?

2 Keeps, 1 Likes, 4 Comments

• CreativeFreckles 11/13/2015 at 02:18pm
    Ooh, this is a tough one. I would try to do projects for all the grades that require similar materials at a time. That way you're only moving around a few and it covers all the grades. Try to do projects that have multiple steps, so maybe they do only a few steps per class. Good luck!!

• artspaz 11/20/2015 at 04:23pm
    Here is a good resource for you, http://www.anniepainter.com/ look at her videos, the paint chips one is a blessing! Last year I was in your shoes, I taught on the cart for 40 minutes. I would do lessons that carry over from week to week, so I stuck with paper only projects and things that can be stored and moved. Hope that helps, here is another great resource! http://cassiestephens.blogspot.com/search/label/in the art room

• paintpeace 12/27/2015 at 05:42pm
    A great one was "Dot monsters", I think from School Arts Magazine. With eyes closed make 28 dots all over a 12x18 drawing paper. Then, open eyes and connect the dots, never crossing over a line. So the drawing is of the outline of a monster, like a dot to dot picture. Then, turn it around until you an "see" the head, the tail, the legs, the wings, etc. draw in claws, fangs, eyes, and texture for the skin. Ok to add clothes, antennae, Full moon, props, etc. very engaging and they learn about line, filling the paper (emphasis), texture, experimentation & using their imaginations.

• aricad 05/18/2016 at 08:38am
    what grade do you want to focus on?
    In Kindergarden I read mouse paint then have the kids dip their fingers in the primary colors and mix paint on paper. I tell the kids to make their hands look like mouse feet and mix the footprints.
    Also check out Arts and Activities Magazines, good for Elementary Art