Your email*

Supplies [Conversation]

Best Organizational tips for the Supply closet

Started on Dec 08, 2015 by RuthByrne
Last post on Jun 15, 2016

I just jumped ship to a new district and inherited a rather dust heavy supply closet. I'd like to reorganize this summer and I'm interested to know any life altering organizational hacks you all have for a dreaded supply closet makeover. What do you do to keep the cave of wonders in tip top shape?

3 Keeps, 0 Likes, 8 Comments

• paintpeace 12/12/2015 at 06:47pm
    When I changed schools, I packed materials into 20 banker boxes and labelled them- paints, still life objects, pastels and drawing supplies, etc. My closet is organized into sections- painting supplies, drawing supplies, craft supplies, office supplies, still life objects, paper...makes me happy. I am always collecting (Trader Joes) black, plastic meat trays. They are great for passing out colored pencils, or markers, etc. and they STACK. Also, stacking (matching) quart size yogurt containers for water when painting. Glass baby food jars for passing out tempera paint- and 6 jars fit in one of those TJ plastic trays. When the cafeteria discarded their sturdy plastic trays (stackable), I use those to distribute papers, magazines or photocopies (to each table group). Hope this helps.

• RuthByrne 01/03/2016 at 06:46am
    love the cafeteria tray idea. I think packing the closet up as if I was moving is probably the best idea to keep the items dust free, sorted and labeled.

• RUNNINGwarrior 01/18/2016 at 02:46pm
    I'm new here..are peolple allowed to post pictures of their art cabinets?

• RuthByrne 01/19/2016 at 10:04am
    Go for it, though I think you have to do it as a resource! =P You can always link to it if you have it on a personal page

• DebEittreim 01/26/2016 at 04:39pm
    I inherited an art room with wonderful closets that do not fit enough. Everything came out and everything was reordered and set up so all K-12 kids can get their own supplies, and put them away. There is a cabinets that is only for HS students, and MS by permission only. The ceramics, papier mache, and mural tiles are in an alcove space set up as a closet, and anything that needs more security is next to my desk in locked cabinets. I also have a MINE locked cabinet. HS kids are able to get into the secure space as needed, MS with permission only, and K-5 I will get the materials for them. I do have 3 rolling carts, but one is dedicated to paint brushes and containers. I need more space....

• RuthByrne 01/31/2016 at 05:05pm
    Wow, sounds like a lot of great work to make the class run smoother. My cabinets are a mess right now, kind of poorly set up. I can't wait to take it out this summer, I like the idea of student access to cabinets, right now anything students can grab is out on counter space....but that's a counter that's gone now. Thanks for the tip!

• lightARTed 04/21/2016 at 09:12am
    I had a parent donate a ton of old plastic mail totes. I have labeled them and now my closet is organized!! You can buy them online too!!

• swieringa 06/15/2016 at 06:26am
    Does anyone have any good tips on storing odds and ends for assemblage sculpures? That is what I always have trouble with. There is a box in my room that has yarn, coat hangers, buttons, beads, wooden pieces, etc. all spilling out onto the table, and it's too big to put in my supply closet when we are finished with it.