Introductory clay lesson for ceramics students. Students create a basic pinch pot and then add embellishments to it to create a 'Toad House' - sometimes also called a 'fairy house'
You put them in your garden and toads will move into them as a natural pest control.
3 sessions; 80 minutes per session
1. SWBAT create a pinch pot
2. SWBAT create a toad/fairy house
3. SWBAT understand how toads help as a natural pest control
2. A variety of glazes
4. Basic ceramics tools
1) Teacher shows examples of toad/fairy houses and reference pictures gathered from the internet.
2) Teacher demonstrates how to make a pinch pot and how to score and slip to add on decorations
3) Students sketch ideas for their toad houses
4. Students create a basic pinch pot
5. Students score and slip extras onto their pinch pots to make it a house (chimneys, windows, doors, etc.
6. Students cut a 'door' into their toad house to allow a way for the toad to enter the 'house'
1. Did students create a pinch pot?
2. Do students understand how to create a pinch pot?
3. Do students understand the importance of 'score and slip'?
4. Did students glaze their bisqued pots?