In this lesson, students create their own unique shoe/sneaker design. Students first focus on the contour line drawing of their shoe from all different points of view and then emphasize their details with color.
10 sessions; 45 minutes per session
Students will be able to create a unique sneaker design through the application of contour line drawing and proper colored pencil techniques.
3. Colored Pencils
4. 18 x 24 white railroad board
5. Black Micron Pens
1. Discussion of identity and how people represent themselves (visual culture).
2. Show examples of how real sneaker designers plan out a shoe. (Sketchbook photos)
3. Students begin sketching their own shoe design.
4. Students draw their shoe design from five points of view and create a logo for their design. (Profile, Sole, 3/4, top, back, logo)
5. Students outline their contour line drawing using a micron pen.
6. Students add color to their shoe designs.
Criteria that is assessed using a rubric is listed in the attached form.
Visual Arts Standard 1: Understanding and applying media, techniques, and processes
[9-12 Advanced] Students initiate, define, and solve challenging visual arts problems independently using intellectual skills such as analysis, synthesis, and evaluation
Visual Arts Standard 2: Using knowledge of structures and functions
[9-12 Proficient] Students demonstrate the ability to form and defend judgments about the characteristics and structures to accomplish commercial, personal, communal, or other purposes of art
Visual Arts Standard 3: Choosing and evaluating a range of subject matter, symbols, and ideas
[9-12 Proficient] Students apply subjects, symbols, and ideas in their artworks and use the skills gained to solve problems in daily life
Visual Arts Standard 6: Making connections between visual arts and other disciplines
[9-12 Proficient] Students compare the materials, technologies, media, and processes of the visual arts with those of other arts disciplines as they are used in creation and types of analysis