This is a kindergarten lesson that I use in conjunction with the Common Core standards. It connects with math (using shapes and patterns), as well as with the NYS Listening & Learning Strand about the farm.
2 sessions; 40 minutes per session
1. SWBAT identify AB and ABC patterns.
2. SWBAT draw a pattern using shapes, letters, numbers, and lines.
3. SWBAT demonstrate their knowledge of how to paint with watercolor paint.
4. SWBAT draw a cow using basic, geometric shapes.
2. Black crayons (or black Sharpie)
3. Watercolor paint
1. Do a step-by-step drawing of a cow with students. Draw each step on the board and have them mimic on their own paper. (Good place to review cows on a farm: udders for girl cows, horns for boy cows, the tags on their ears, the parts of the cow, etc.). You may have students draw with pencil first or just use crayon.
2. After the drawing is complete, add a frame. Students then add patterns to the cow's spots and to the frame.
1. Review how to paint with watercolor paint.
2. Students paint everything BUT the white part of the cow. (Paint the spots, the background, the frame, the mouth, etc.).