This is a worksheet to accompany an art lesson on patterns. The artist, Laurel Burch, used patterns in a colorful, exciting way in her art. The definition of pattern is included. The students will identify the patterns in Lauren's art and draw them in the small boxes. Then, there are boxes for them to make their own drawings of patterns in the large blank spaces. This lesson and worksheet can be used as a preliminary sketch for a larger work of art.
1 session; 50 minutes per session
1. SWBAT define pattern
2. SWBAT recognize pattern and its properties of repeating line, color and/or shape in specific art work.
3. SWBAT draw their own design showing different types of art elements that combine to form patterns.
1. Read the definition of pattern.
2. Each of the 3 sections emphasizes one element of pattern. Identify the patterns in the art work and draw them in the small boxes.
3. Draw your own idea of each pattern using the specific art element, accordingly in the large blank area.
Students will hold their papers up to show the teacher and others their work, before leaving class. This worksheet may be used as preliminary sketches for a larger art project.