Students will create clay luminaries based on Totem poles.
10+ sessions; 45 minutes per session
Students will hand build a clay luminary based on their personality traits.
Students will incorporate several clay construction techniques into their design.
Students will add descriptive words and a traditional totem animal to their design.
various hand building tools
1. Students will read information and complete planning sheet.
2. Students will complete a paper model to design all aspects of their luminary.
3. Students will create a slab base and begin constructing their luminary.
4. Bisque Firing.
1. students will apply one coat of watered down under glaze (approx 2 parts glaze, 1 part water)
2. Students will sponge off high parts of the design, emphasizing texture.
3. Dip base of luminary in wax, let dry.
4. Dip entire piece in clear dipping glaze.
5. Stilt and fire. The wax makes for a stinky kiln... be sure to vent well!
Students will be assessed based on the attached rubric.
Fun fact - Alphabet pasta was pressed into the clay before firing to create the words!