Students will learn about the art and history of Manga as well as create a self-portrait in that style.
• Students will be able to recognize the art of manga and understand the differences between manga and anime.
• Students will learn techniques and steps on the how to draw facial features and in proportion.
• Students will learn and demonstrate how to properly use a calligraphy pen and ink and watercolor techniques in the creation of a manga character.
Paper, pencils, erasers, manga handouts and facial proportion references, calligraphy pen, markers, color pencils, ink, watercolor and brushes.
1. Introduce lesson with PowerPoint, videos that talk about Manga, what it is, the history of, and examples.
2. Demonstrate how to draw a manga style character, emphasizing proper facial proportions.
3. Students may choose to use handouts of step by step manga drawing techniques and examples of facial features.
4. Students practice drawing to get use to the style and must lightly sketch first before starting the final project.
5. On a larger piece of paper students lightly sketch their manga character.
6. Demonstrate watercolor and inking techniques.
7. Students line and color their drawings with india ink and watercolor.
• Did student create an original manga self-portrait or character?
• Is the drawing detailed? Sketched lightly? Include manga characteristics?
• Is the drawing inked well with minimal mistakes?
• Is the drawing colored using tonal value, highlights, and shadows?