This is a lesson on how to rotoscope video frame as layers in Photoshop CC. Rotoscoping is a technique in animation in which the animator traces the images on the frame to get a faithful representation of the person or object moving. It was speculated that Walt Disney Studios used it when creating Snow White.
7 sessions; 45 minutes per session
1. SWBAT define what Rotoscoping is.
2. SWBAT to create their own Rotoscope animation in Photoshop CC.
3. SWBAT to identify the technique of Rotoscoping.
4. SWBAT to create a workflow and work as a team on their Rotoscope animation.
1. I show the example video of what Rotoscoping is.
Then I explain what Rotoscoping. (1st class 44 min)
- I demo how students will import their video into layers.
- I have students do the same with the sample video I provide them.
- Then I demo how to select a frame and the layer and create a new layer.
- Then show they how to trace and fill using the brush and paint bucket tool.
- Then we merge the layers down.
2. Students will work on their own practice rotoscope.
- Review and provide one-on-one instruction. (44 min)
3. Student will finish their practice rotoscopes (44 min)
4. Next class students work on their own rotoscope independent project. I provide them with 5 - 44 min class sessions to complete 24 frames traced.
-Export as an MP4 file and then turn in the file for grade.
Students will be graded based on the rubric attached. I also provided my quick grading sheet while students present their animation.